Engine died while driving and now will not start at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Engine dying while driving/won't start

So to start it off I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 SLT Lonestar with the 4.7L v8 magnum 2wd and recently my engine has been shutting off on me while driving. The electronics stay on but the engine is off and when I turn the key it cranks but it won't start unless I give it gas then it will but today it's completely done won't even start at all. My battery is 2 days old my alternator and starter was checked out and it came out okay and I had just done a fuel pressure test to see if maybe my fuel pump was going out and it came out at 48psi and the norm was 44-54psi so that's okay and I don't have a check engine light on so the crank sensor is ruled out maybe fuel injectors clogged? Also I had a power control module and we took it off to see if it was going bad and it looked to have some corrosion on there so we didn't put it back on and cleaned the connections with rubbing alcohol, could my ecm be going bad or did I short it with the alcohol? i dont know at this point I'm stumped on what it could be I hope some one might be of help and have any suggestions to help me get her running again. Thanks you guys for any help and suggestions.

EDIT: I tried starting the truck this morning to just see if I light be lucky and now it doesn't even sound like gas is hitting the engine, yesterday it sounded like gas was there but couldn't hold the start like was about go but dies before it gets there now it's just nothing but clicking

EDIT#2: http://www.ramforum.com/f45/help_my_fuse_keeps_blowing-92190/#post1384881
Sums up the rest in between even thought this link is about my fuse but it's connected to the issue with the engine not running

Also if yall wanna have a conversation with me to help fix this issue if you happen to know the fix or want more details email me at [email protected]

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Have you actually scanned it? Does the check engine light self test and then go out?

I would not rule out the injectors but mainly as a switching issue as 8 injectors being physically bade is remote. Most injector circuits are ground side switched with the PCM/ECM commanding the grounding and a constant hot going to the injectors.

I would first check to see if power is going to the injectors with a meter. You may also be able to check the ground side with a meter under crank but many times it is so fast, you would need a scope meter to check that.

If injectors are good, I would look at spark and coil control.

Last is air and making sure you are getting good air intake. Since the check engine light is not setting, I am not leaning to cam/crank sensor issues unless scan data says otherwise.

No magic bullet here and shotgun parts without data to back it up will be a money waster.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree. Try to read the codes to get an idea of what failed. It could be so many things that without the codes, all you are doing is guessing.

Oh, and one thread on the subject is sufficient. Thanks.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
One thread on the subject is sufficient? I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by this but besides that yea it could be alot of things I agree I was just curious if maybe yall have heard this before and might know what it was

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Now how would I check to see if the engine is getting enough air? My air filter is clean not dirty enough to stop anything someone suggested to clean my throttle body and see if that will do it and when looking at the spark/coil control what am I looking for or what am I testing and how do I test it?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
You have been given the basics and need to use a little Google foo on checking ignition coils and spark. Plenty of Youtube videos showing how to do that.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Dodge+4.7+coil+spark+checking

Not trying to be an ass but hand carrying you through each step by step is a little complicated though board interaction back and forth.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
No i understand I'm just like in a panic cause this truck gets me to school and work and I'm not thinking straight I have alot on my plate right now that just is like right in these 2 weeks so didn't even think to Google lol