Engine load?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I just got the 4.56 installed and love it. Currently running 32 inch tall tires. Resulting in an engine rpm around 2400 at 70 mph. I knew this would happen, now I'm looking at tires. I am looking at a 34 inch tire. This will bring the rpm to about 2100 at 70mph. My question is though, the bigger tire results in a larger over all load on the engine correct?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes and no

The added weight at the tires will increase the engine load on the bottom end . ie low speeds or taking off . Once your started and have momentum the load is far less and likely not worth mentioning ; therefore, since most driving is after the vehicle is in motion the lower gears are a great tradeoff for most drivers .

Is your vehicle a 2wd or 4wd ?

Why did you want lower gears ?

OP
OP
R

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
2wd. Mainly because of towing. Just picked up a 6xxx lbs travel trailer and I want it to tow as good as possible. Plus every time a guy puts 4.56 in I hear about how great they are on here. I also put an LSD in at the same time mainly because having an open dif in a Midwest suburban winter is more useless then **** on a nun. So I figured do the gears at the same time.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If 34s fit I'd definitely go with them . Great job on the LSD .

I'm certin you'll love the 4.56 gears , everyone that installs them seem to have no negativity to say ...