First Time Ram Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

golfer9619

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, i just bought my first dodge truck today. It's a 2003 Ram 1500 with 128,000 miles. 4x4. 5.7l hemi. laramie. I looked the truck over and the only thing i had a question of was that there was a small oil drop on the oil drain pan. I decided the truck was worth the price and bought it for 6800$. So, after being a ranger owner and finding the forums for that useful, i decided to come here.:naughty:
So, i have some questions for you guys. First off, is there any common problem with the drain plug leaking on these trucks? because i have a feeling thats what the drip was from. just needs a new plug. and second, when should the transmission fluid be changed? with 128,000 on it, is it to late to change the fluid in risk of the tranny failing? I will be taking it to the dodge dealership and getting a 25 point inspection+oil change done. just this first time. so, im sure they'll throw their two cents in. but thought i would ask yall first!:favorites13:

avp12304

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2006
Engine
4.7, 5.9 Cummins
I am also wondering the same thing about my 05 1500 4.7L I have 97k miles on it, and as far as I know, the transmission fluid has never been changed, is it to late for us?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the purchase. To my knowledge there aren't common drain plug issues. Other than being to loose or they didn't clean it after they changed the oil. Looks like a good truck in the picture. Throw some pictures up here when you can.

OP
OP
golfer9619

golfer9619

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took it to the dealership and they said that nothing was wrong with it, more than likely was just a tad bit loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wchnu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 03 quad cab 1500 4x4 hemi also. You are gonna love that thing!!!!

toyv84x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good Luck with your Truck. I'm about to do the same except ours are 2-3 times the cost in the UK as yours!
Oil out a drain plug I know is no concern unless it is trickling down from elsewhere more serious? A copper washer or similar tightening as said will do the trick.

OP
OP
golfer9619

golfer9619

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good Luck with your Truck. I'm about to do the same except ours are 2-3 times the cost in the UK as yours!
Oil out a drain plug I know is no concern unless it is trickling down from elsewhere more serious? A copper washer or similar tightening as said will do the trick.

I feel like I got a steal on this truck most like this with this low of miles run around 10k here. The only thing that's wrong is it occasionally shuts off. But the truck drives great. I've pretty much got the shut off narrowed down to a a broken reluctor wheel, crankshaft sensor, or timing chain. Either way... Worst case scenerio, 1k to fix it and I haven't even dropped 8 grand into the truck. Still a steal!

StaLL1oN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 1500 Quad cab SLT 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 03 quad cab 1500 4x4 hemi also. You are gonna love that thing!!!!

I'll second that! solid truck