front breaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I'm actually surprised you found a shop to turn them....good work on that...only ones that will turn them here are dealers.

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah, will update tomorrow when i get done. thanks again for all the awesome info adam

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
passanger side rotor
passrotor.jpg

drivers side rotor
driverrotor.jpg

both side by side
rotor1.jpg

side by side
rotor1.jpg

nice and smooooth =0)
turnedrotor.jpg

well, got everything taken apart, not as difficult as i thought it was gonna be. replaced the lines, that makes a hell of a mess. returned the new rotors i had bought in case the rotors were too bad. ( i may have been exaggerating as to how bad they were. after bleeding, tried to turn the rotors and it was tight, thought may just need to drive it. took it around the block, thought i could hear grinding, not bad grinding, but grinding. put back in the garage and jacked back up, still grabbing. the calipers had play in them, according to my dad they should. so was just talking to him and them still rubbing is an issue (i didn't know) heat, bla bla bla, i just wanted to know what to do. he said take it all apart and make sure everything moves. sooooooooooo, back out to the garage. sucks not havin days off together, gotta get this done cuz i work at 10 tomorrow.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
before you drove it you did pump the pedal to seat the pads correct? Are your rotors the ones with sealed bearings or did you have to actually repack the bearings?

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah, pumped to seat the pads. just went back out there and used a screw driver to open the caliper, spun find then. pushed the pedal down and right back to were i started. funny part is, i took the drivers side off and it was the not to bad side. calipers or master cylinder?

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Well, not master cylinder for sure...sounds like you pistons are sticking...I mena, you are gonna have some rubbing in the front...but you should hear a little bit of the pad hitting the rotor, but it sounds like by the way you describe it, that the rub is still quite hefty. Around the piston there should be a rubber seal...check it for wear...you could have got some water up there maybe from the snow or something maybe? that would lead to rust up around the piston making the piston stick...Wish I was there to help you man...

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i appreciate the help your giving me as is. as much as i don''t want to to do it, think im just gonna go ahead and replace both front calipers. i don't know what else to do. at least that's not too daunting of a task.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Well you can somewhat check the calipers by pressing on the brake pedal a few times, turn the wheel by hand and if it is draging, open the bleed screw. If it frees up, then change the brake hose. If it drags and opening the bleed screw does not free the wheel, then it is a sticking caliber piston. It's a rough test, but you'll get the idea. Good luck.

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
painted calipers the hard and expensive way. part that makes me wanna bang my head against the wall is that it still to tight. haven't bled yet, but they tightened right up after i put pressure to them. :Grenade:
caliper.jpg

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hoses have been changed. that was the first thing i did cuz it was the cheapest way to go

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
yep, are both the calipers sticking now? You dont have to replace them in pairs like you have to do the hoses..

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Does opening the bleed screw loosen them up?

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
figured out what i did........... feel like a damn jack ass but i was in a hurry trying to get it done so i could go to work. apparently the calipers are reversible......... except for the bleed valve........sooooooooooo, just gotta flip the calipers tomorrow morning and then (cross my fingers and toes) it will be done. never even crossed my mind this morning that they would be able to be put on wrong. so, i'm ********, and was in a hurry. let the beatings begin lol.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
It happens man....

I have never heard of reversable calipers....though....did you just install them on the wrong wheels?

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
one of those things that could only happen to me, and not get figured out until it's too late and too dark to do anything about it. and my daughter was waiting for me at home. so i rocked the parents mini van home for the night.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
That's funny, glad you got it sorted out.....
I'm betting you won't do that again....