Front differential "roll pin?" removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I need to remove the center pin, or whatever it's called, from my front differential to remove the driver side shaft. How is that pin removed? Usually there's a bolt in the side that holds it but I don't see one. I see a hole, but no bolt head. Is it a hex key? If so, what size? Thanks!

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If it's an '05 1500 it should be an IFS. Don't the front CV shafts just pull out?? Haven't had one apart myself. I've got a manual around here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Says in the book it's just a regular CV shaft. After you pull off the hub and spindle, just pull outward on the axle shaft. It's only held in with a spring clip. No need to disassemble the differential to remove the shafts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I knew that it SHOULD just pull out with some force, but it wouldn't come out at all. I had to take the diff cover off, and remove the center pin. I figured out that the pin that holds THAT pin in place was just pressure fit. Once I figured that out, it was simple. What is the correct name for the pin that holds the spider gears in place anyway?

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Pinion Mate Shaft, sometimes just Pinion Shaft.

Last edited:
OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay, thank you!

friggentruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 powertech
I knew that it SHOULD just pull out with some force, but it wouldn't come out at all. I had to take the diff cover off, and remove the center pin. I figured out that the pin that holds THAT pin in place was just pressure fit. Once I figured that out, it was simple. What is the correct name for the pin that holds the spider gears in place anyway?

Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I've run into the exact situation and haven't quite figured it out. Been sick as a dog so haven't had a chance to get back and look at the differential. Does the roll pin drive out from only the one side, or should you be able to drive it all the way through? The factory manual doesn't really help much.

thanks

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Are you talking about the pin that holds the pinion shaft in place or the shaft itself?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
05ram4x4

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Should just drive straight through. It's been a long time so it's a little hard to remember.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I don't know about your specific app, but I just replaced rear wheel bearings on my Cherokee. The Dana 35 in it, there was a bolt holding the pinion (spider) gears shafts in. I forget whether it is an Allen socket or torx head, but I do remember it was slightly oddball size, such that I had to search my toolbox to find the correct size. Just thought I'd relate that, to caution you before you break out a big a $$ hammer and drift to drive out a lock bolt.

friggentruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 powertech
I don't know about your specific app, but I just replaced rear wheel bearings on my Cherokee. The Dana 35 in it, there was a bolt holding the pinion (spider) gears shafts in. I forget whether it is an Allen socket or torx head, but I do remember it was slightly oddball size, such that I had to search my toolbox to find the correct size. Just thought I'd relate that, to caution you before you break out a big a $$ hammer and drift to drive out a lock bolt.

Thanks for the advice, that's a good point. I'm pretty sure the factory manual indicated a roll pin held the pinion shaft in place, but it also said that the stub shaft should pull right out with a slide hammer. I might need to take my camera along with me to save some other folks the headache down the road.

c19o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have any luck getting the roll pin out? I tried hitting it with a punch a few times and it dont seem to budge. My cv is stuck on the stub shaft so I am wanting to pull the stub and cv as one assembly then replace both parts. No amount of prying pulling or a slide hammer is helping me at this point..