Front end clunking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maines ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone I have a 04 1500 4x4. At very low speeds there is a clunking sound on front drivers side. It only happens when backing up with the wheel turned and then going forward again. Like backing out of my driveway. Its usually three clunks while backing up then three when I start moving forward. I have already replaced sway bar endlinks, tie rod end, shocks, and upper control arm and noise is still there. :banghead: any ideas? Thanks in advance.

jacobsjl88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be the wheel hub or the cv axle going out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

maines ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the fast response. Its not like a click click click like cv. More like a random clunk. How can I check the wheel hub?

jacobsjl88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jack it up, grab the tire at 12 and 6, push and pull to see if there is any play. Could do it 3/9 but it may move due to steering play. You can spin the tire freely to see if you can replicated the noise.

OP
OP
M

maines ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. I will check it out in a bit. Is it hard to replace?

jacobsjl88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I recently replaced one and it only took me a few hours. Hardest part is to get to the 3 bolts holding the bearing in if you don't remove the cv axle

OP
OP
M

maines ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So. I found no play in the wheel hub but did find a torn cv boot. Replaced axle and noise is still there. Any other ides? Anyone? Thanks

OP
OP
M

maines ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I found that the sway bar bushings are cracked and broken. The parts store had two sets. One for a 32mm bar and one for 33 or 34 I think. Does anyone know what size mine is? 04 1500 4x4 qc. Thanks

OP
OP
M

maines ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I completely removed the sway bar and the clunking is still there. Anyone have any advice for me?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
To tell you the truth, I put many hours and hours, even days into front end noise research after experiencing so many front end noises with my truck. I could be completely wrong, because there's so many things up there that make noise as you mentioned. I've experienced a major creaking noise when the wheel left or right which turned out to be a steering rack and pinion. I also had a loud clunking noise over dips, holes in the road, or any kind of bump, or even backing down the drive and through the dip into the road. Turned out to be bad ball joints. All four of mine we're busted and from what I've gathered they are very common parts to go. Often the bottom first then the top, however mine were all (4) shot. You started with a lot of the issues, sway bar, sway bar links, bushings, and tie rod ends. As someone mentioned earlier your hubs could be a possibility, but I'd bank my money on one of two thing, either ball joints or front struts/shocks.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Could be a stuck caliper slide causing the brake pads to shift

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Could be a stuck caliper slide causing the brake pads to shift

Good suggestion also. I forgot about the the brakes also. I found it would benefit people helping you here if you post a video of the noise. A lot of different people describe noises in different ways. Have you tried doing a bounce test on the front yet by jumping with your weight on the front bumper?

OP
OP
M

maines ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone. I still haven't replaced lower ball joints but can't see any play in them if I move the tire at 12 & 6. How can I check the caliper slide? And finally, yes have bounced the truck up and down and side to side. I can't replicate the noise at all unless I start backing out of my driveway.

OP
OP
M

maines ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. So I am now in the process of replacing inner tie rod due to some play. Upon inspection I noticed the play is in the shaft that the inner tie rod connects to. Also there is pink grease everywhere inside the inner rod boot. Should there be play on that steering shaft? (Can wiggle it side to side with a little force) also should that grease be all over? Not sure if any of this is macking my loud popping noise or not.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Sounds like the rack seals have let go. For some reason these trucks love steering racks. Might want to look into replacing it

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
on my 2011 I was experiencing a very similar noise, and it ended up being the passenger side axle (4x4) the axle had play somewhere and would bind up and click/clunk. more when backing up and turning at the same time. or while under heavy quick braking.

Good luck!

OP
OP
M

maines ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The sound is coming from driver side. And I already replaced the cv axle. Sound is driving me nuts!! Guess I'll look into replacing the rack. Anyone know of a write up on a rack replacement?

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it make the noise any times other than when you mentioned in the op? Like certain speed, while braking, turning a certain direction?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
The sound is coming from driver side. And I already replaced the cv axle. Sound is driving me nuts!! Guess I'll look into replacing the rack. Anyone know of a write up on a rack replacement?

It's hard to tell. Tie Rods and Steering Racks both cause front end noise. So if you're going to throw up the coin and shoot for one before the other I would knock out the cheapest one first.

That being said, if you look up my previous threads, I just put a steering rack in last week. I believe they we're 191.00 at AutoZone, or $181. give or take at Advance with a $80.00 core for a total of around $120. after returning the core. My steering rack was making a loud creeking noise when turning left or right from the steering rack. As for going over bump, I couldn't tell you what kind of noise the rack was putting out because the ball joints we're so busted, the whole front end was making noise.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
For the brakes, I would simply google brake shops in your area with free "brake checks." A lot of them do free brake checks to try and sell you services, so if you think you might have a stuck caliper, that might be an easy option for you to check the brake system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio