front end wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thegen58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, first time post here. First I would like to say hi and any help exchanged is greatly appreciated.

So I'm driving an 06 ram 1500 4x4 with 86000 miles on it. The issue I have been having is a "wobble" in the front end, mostly at 60mph or more when I hit bumps in the road. Having drove a Cherokee with a death wobble issue I know it's not to that extreme but feels similar and settles on its own with no change in speed. I have had tires balanced, replaced tie rod ends and a bad upper ball joint, had an alignment done after this work was done. Inner tie rods are tight and wheel bearings are quiet and no play in them. I have looked into the rack and pinion, which seems to have some play (clunking sound when I bounce the steering shift back and fourth) but was told it was pretty normal by the alignment shop. They suggested new shocks and am looking at the 5100's but this is not an up and down bounce, it feels like the wheels are loose when it occurs. I have done a boatload of reading on here and the net in general to no avail so far. Again any help would be appreciated before I go throwing parts at it and blowing money lol.

OP
OP
T

Thegen58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you had similar issues?

OP
OP
T

Thegen58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the tires road force balanced today and seemed to help a bit (could be placebo effect lol). Guy at the tire shop mentioned sway bar links, I don't know if that would have an effect but said it did on his Ford. Stopped at orreileys and almost crapped myself, $37 a piece and $50 a piece for moogs. Are you kidding? Lol links for my old truck were $16 for both. Think I'm gonna order the bilsteins and hope they do the trick.

r35j1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2008
Engine
5.7 in both
I would say no but I have never checked it out on a new truck to be sure. Run by a dealer and see if a new truck has any play in it.

OP
OP
T

Thegen58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well that's two votes for no because I don't think its right either. Any others before I go drop $200? Thanks again

smokedya

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 1500 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the tires road force balanced today and seemed to help a bit (could be placebo effect lol). Guy at the tire shop mentioned sway bar links, I don't know if that would have an effect but said it did on his Ford. Stopped at orreileys and almost crapped myself, $37 a piece and $50 a piece for moogs. Are you kidding? Lol links for my old truck were $16 for both. Think I'm gonna order the bilsteins and hope they do the trick.

Your not driving a cheby anymore ya know!

th_20140422_162435_zpsd4119ec8.jpg[/IMG]
Is this normal?

Is that your steering shaft? or a shock? On my 02 the struts were trashed beyond belief! And I had slight wobble. Once I replaced them all was good!

OP
OP
T

Thegen58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I know I'm not lol my friend is driving a newer Chevy and said he's disappointed in the build quality and is thinking about trying a newer dodge. That is my steering shaft, twisting it back and forth to make the clunking sound. This isn't so much a vibe issue, although I do get one in the seat at highway speeds but more of a "loose lug nuts feeling when I hit a bump around 60. The front tires are cupped or chopped on the outside tread blocks but I don't think that would cause a wobble. Guess I was looking for someone else with the same issue and see what they had done to fix or at least deaden this effect. Thanks for the reply.

smokedya

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 1500 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Could possibly be the tires uneven wear? And that could be caused by the steering?

OP
OP
T

Thegen58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be, I have seen nothing but horrible reviews and talk about the Goodyear hp's. I'm just not the type of person to throw parts at a vehicle to try and fix it, not knowing for sure and unfortunately in this case I may have to. If I do put new skins on it trying to track this down I will just have to hope that it doesn't ruin them too. I do know I have a leak in the front passenger shock, even a garbage Monroe reflex is $109 a piece. I'm really beginning to show my age I guess because I sound like my old man, "damn everything's so expensive" lol. Prices go up on everything and I'm making almost the same money I was when I graduated highschool. But I digress it is what it is, might as well choke on the bullet and get it over with lol. Any other ideas? Btw I will keep ya posted on this issue, when and if I find a fix I will post it for others to see. Too many posts I've read that end in nothing. Thanks again.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just took my nitto tires and rims off and put the stock ones back on for an alignment. No lie I thought the truck was go a come apart on the freeway. So much in fact that I had the hp's balanced and the alignment rechecked. The tires were balanced and the alignment was spot on. Same thing. I put the nitto's back on and smooth as silk now. The HP's are crap. And they only have 36000 miles on them.

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always suspect tires when it comes to vibration - have them checked out by a good tire shop and rebalanced. Check the wheels for trueness as well. You can try a RoadForce balance as well - often that will smooth things out even more

OP
OP
T

Thegen58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I finally got around to installing new struts, I just went with the monroe reflexes and man what a difference. First off the truck had two different struts on it (I didn't realize) and both were definitely blown, no valving left in either of them. Now my problem is I'm getting a high pitched cherp put of the front left. I didn't replace the upper mount because they looked to be in good order but could this be the noise? It was non existent before. Thanks