Front suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwebb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking to put new shocks/struts on my 08 1500 4x4. I'm confused on what to do, do I put just shocks on there or just struts or both?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You truck uses a strut assembly. If you haven't yet and would like to level the truck, now is a good time. Bilstein 5100's are a popular choice for that.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The strut is comprised of a coil spring and shock together. You can do one of two things. But a new shock, take the coil off and replace the shock. Or, you can replace the entire assembly. The latter is easier but you have limited options. Taking the spring off requires a spring compressor. More of a pain, but you can do as Derek said and get Bilstein shocks that will level your truck. I bought Monroe QuikStruts which are an entire assembly. Was relatively easy to install too. Would have preferred a better shock though. Will be getting bilsteins when I lift my truck in the future.

OP
OP
N

nwebb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks fellas! I am installing a 2.5" level as well, will that affect which ones I need to get?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if you get the bilsteins you can get a 2" level from those. But otherwise stock length shocks ought to be fine. If you'ree using a spacer lift, set the bilsteins at the stock setting.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks fellas! I am installing a 2.5" level as well, will that affect which ones I need to get?
Your best bet is to purchase the 5100's and level the truck that way. The ride will be a lot better vs running a spacer, and it'll be cheaper than purchasing the spacer and shocks.

Well if you get the bilsteins you can get a 2" level from those. But otherwise stock length shocks ought to be fine. If you'ree using a spacer lift, set the bilsteins at the stock setting.
If he uses a spacer to level he'd be better off saving some money and going with 4600's or a different brand of shock.

OP
OP
N

nwebb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a guy offer me brand new spacers (still in original package no scuffs from being used) for 30 bucks that are normally 100 so I went with that. A buddy of mine has monroe heavy duties on the front of his and I think they ride really nice especially for the money $150 for the pair