Fuel Gauge issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alright, well my dad just bought a new truck.
As in.. we're still in Louisiana, 8 hours away from home.
It's a 2006 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins. Real nice truck.

Anyways point of this post is I'm wondering if there is a common issue with the fuel gauge dropping to empty. I realize it's probably a bad connection or bad sending unit, but before digging into it all I wanted to check with you guys to see if anyone knows anything about a common issue.
Thanks

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know there were issues with solder joints in the gauge cluster cracking which will cause strange things to happen like that with the gauges. Usually caused the tach to read incorrectly or not at all but I'm sure it could affect the gas gauge too.

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I forgot to mention, it does have a FASS pump on the frame rail. I've heard the stock pump and sending unit are made into one, I'm going to look into this theory.

I really do hope it's not the gauge cluster.
We drove it like 600 miles, it acted up quite a bit at first. Then got on the highway and didn't do it once. Then stopped for some fuel and it did it again. So Idk..