Heater goes in and out and only on one side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

appel1978

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone my dilemma is that when I turn the heater on it doesn't blow hot air consecutively. I noticed it will only blow for maybe 30 sec and then blows cold. until it seems when I come to a stop at a light and as soon as I hit the gas the air gets hot again for a brief moment then goes cold again till I got to next light, stopped and as soon as I hit the gas again low and be hold the heat came again for a moment. Now on top of that it only blows hot air out the passenger side vents the driver side always stays cool. I do need new blend doors because it stays on vents and wont go to defrost vents. but that's another problem which im aware of how to fix.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you checked both hoses for your heater core? I have a feeling it has blockage, and only lets a little bit of coolant through.

A good test would be to remove both sides of the hoses, and flush the core. If after reconnecting it the heat works properly for a while then goes back, you will need a new heater core. Mine was just replaced 2003 with 86k miles on it (it was used, so I don't know how frequently the previous owner flushed the coolant)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
check your coolant level. low coolant will not fill the hoses enough at idle. but at speed the water pump will work better and fill the hoses.

FarTooMuchhh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L V10
Hello! I know yours is an old question, but I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling what was the problem/solution? My '06 QC SRT10 blows ice cold A/C on both sides, but only blows hot air on the pax side. Thanks!