Hello and heres what my problem is

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VWdontmaketrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
04 2500
Engine
5.7 V8
Hey folks. Just picked up my first pickup ever. Have had 8 vws now because i liked the help i got from the VW community but I'm super exited to have craigslisted a 04 2500 5 speed for a good price. 142k Said it had a spun bearing.

Had oil when i bought it. Drove it into the moving van and brought it to Des Moines. Drove it 20 minutes home, died on me a few times so learned to N and left foot break as i kept throttle up. Finally died one last time when i got to the driveway and wont start. almost sounds like the starter isn't engaging the flywheel and grinding but i visually checked and the serp belt is spinning. Almost dropped the oil pan but am limited to daylight. idled fine when oil was cold but wanted to die when warm. Ill pull a couple mains and all the rods next time i get a chance. $1000 too much to spend for this thing?

Attachments

• 20160813_124111.jpg
    20160813_124111.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 82

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you can get it fixed and come in under it's value.

And VW did make trucks. I had a Rabbit pickup back in the day.........lol.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you can get it fixed and come in under it's value.

And VW did make trucks. I had a Rabbit pickup back in the day.........lol.

I remember those, they even offered a diesel.

And OP that truck looks well worth a grand to me, even throwing a motor in it you will enjoy the results. At least the seller didn't try to hide the fact it has issues as sellers often do.

OP
OP
V

VWdontmaketrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
04 2500
Engine
5.7 V8
IMG_20150308_172735_zpsxmjj6gxf.jpg

Hey if they made a MK1 Pickup that's 4 wheel drive and a fat ass diesel then ill be buying one. I have an 83 TD rabbit and TDI golf. They're easy to work on and thats how i learned cars.
Super happy about this truck. I'd like to turn it into a sweet weld rig/toy hauler
Welding rig trucks - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
1000$ seems reasonable for HEMI 2500 4x4.

The nice thing is that you can consider a CTD swap with a 2500 frame under the truck.

Great catch.

OP
OP
V

VWdontmaketrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
04 2500
Engine
5.7 V8
Yeah i'd like to throw a cummins engine in there. We have 2 in my Diesel class that we rebuilt this summer semester.

Ill do some reading but i'm quite sure i would need a parts truck for

Engine
Wiring harness
Maybe engine mounts?
Fuel tank (or clean out my gasser tank)

Trans bolt right up to TD from 5.7??
Aside from intercooler and air plumbing, 2nd battery. What else needs to come from parts car?

It's a nice thought, but ill likely end up throwing an ebay engine in there

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd pay $1000 for that all day, HEMI, 4wd, an manual oh yes!

OP
OP
V

VWdontmaketrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
04 2500
Engine
5.7 V8
Yeah i got a few bad bearings. Pulled 5 and 6 and here's 6. Im still troubled because the truck died and didn't start again in my driveway. Crank moves by hand. No self machining seen.

20160820_171021_zpseyi7ha0n.jpg

Starting to learn a few bad things about my Salvaged title. Control arm? fix?

20160820_172105_zpsvbwxxulo.jpg

20160820_172130_zpsknjzgaux.jpg

It'd be nice to just throw $60 in conn rod bearings and a new oil pan gasket and have an at least operating engine. Im trying to refuse to believe that a spun bearing means engine replacement, in which case ill be trying to find a short block and rebuilding myself. this is my 5th vehicle i currently own.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The stalling issue is interesting but when an engine has bearings that thin I'd be leary of other oil related issues.

It's a tough call on what to do with the engine. Bearings, rod and crank, are relatively cheap but it's wasted money if the damage goes further into the engine. Look carefully at the condition of the journals and mike the bad ones. That will help

One thing I might do is look around for a decent engine from that year. If you find one cheap that will help with the decision.

The short block is the best way if you want to keep the truck for sometime and guarantees it will run for a long time.

As far as the suspension parts, try Rock Auto and the forum sponsers for parts. The control arm should be available at most wrecking yards if cost is an issue.