Help with CV axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peason48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Alright I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab SLT 4x4....i recently put a 3" leveling kit on it and it came with shock extenders. Long story short my boots tore open and sprayed peanut butter oil everywhere. Now I got the driver side CV axle off with relative ease but my passenger side one it seems that its pulling the whole shaft out of the differential. I am seeing no splines at all just a smooth rod and its dripping diff oil whenever i get it out. What can I do? Any tips, tricks, advice would be greatly appreciated.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Don't worry if the diff shaft comes out as this means its stuck inside your axle pot. Just need to remove it from the pot without damaging the axle (pass side one i believe is about 8-10 inches long if i recall) Ensure the diff shaft has a C-clip at both ends before re install as it should click right back in. You can push on it with the end of a ball peen or wood dowel and when done the end should be basically flush with the seal. If the axle that goes into the CV pot is siezed then spray it with liquid wrench and let it soak but you should replace that c-clip and the one inside the diff should be OK. What happens if the O ring thats on the end of the diff axle that goes into the CV pot is damaged or missing then water gets in there and rusts the hell out of the axle and pot splines so i think thats what the problem is. Both the c-clip and o ring are available at the dealer as i have bought several in the past. As for the leaking diff oil just jack up that side a bit higher and when your all done top up the fluid. I do beleive that the front C205 diff only takes GL5 80w90 so that stuff is cheap unlike the full synthetic used in the rears. Danny

Last edited: