Help for first time truck buyer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wayyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Hey guys, looking to buy my first truck and I am torn between 07-10 Ram or 07-10 F150 (Problem free mostly years from what I have seen) . I found a nice Ram 1500 its a 08 about 125 Miles its very clean for a up north truck (Dakotas) no rust. Its saids the work that has recently been done is, New front end 15000 Mi ago (control arms, ball joint, upper/lower mounts)
New Belt/Fan/Rad 5000 Mi ago
New Tires 17000 Mi ago

I just dont want to have to put tons of money into it right after buying it. I can get it inspected the price is asking 8500. What do you think?

Any help or advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey guys, looking to buy my first truck and I am torn between 07-10 Ram or 07-10 F150 (Problem free mostly years from what I have seen) . I found a nice Ram 1500 its a 08 about 125 Miles its very clean for a up north truck (Dakotas) no rust. Its saids the work that has recently been done is, New front end 15000 Mi ago (control arms, ball joint, upper/lower mounts)

New Tires 17000 Mi ago

I just dont want to have to put tons of money into it right after buying it. I can get it inspected the price is asking 8500. What do you think?

I would get 09 or newer 4th gen fit finish and resale all better than the 3rd gen was.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would get 09 or newer 4th gen fit finish and resale all better than the 3rd gen was.

Easy now lol

Honestly my 08 Ram has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've had so far. Just minor stuff like a recirc door and lower control arm bushings. No major issues at all.

On another note when I bought my truck, I was looking at a 3rd gen (the one I have now) and a 4th gen. Mileage and price was exactly the same, but the third gen was a loaded Laramie and the 4th gen was base with no options. Like I said price was the same so I went with the third gen and it's been a very good truck.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've had good luck with mine also. Been real reliable and no problems besides the normal wear and tear. Still looks and runs great. Still get compliments on it all the time.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Easy now lol

Honestly my 08 Ram has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've had so far. Just minor stuff like a recirc door and lower control arm bushings. No major issues at all.

On another note when I bought my truck, I was looking at a 3rd gen (the one I have now) and a 4th gen. Mileage and price was exactly the same, but the third gen was a loaded Laramie and the 4th gen was base with no options. Like I said price was the same so I went with the third gen and it's been a very good truck.

Not hating at all I like both but the 4th gen were better received by non-Ram people is all.

Last edited:

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
3rd Gens ROCK! :D

New Tires 17000 Mi ago

Having the front end already rebuilt is huge since the ball joints on these trucks are known for having a short life span. The 5.7L is a great engine, run good oil and get a tuner to shut off the MDS and I'm sure you'll love the truck.

OP
OP
W

wayyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
3rd Gens ROCK! :D

Having the front end already rebuilt is huge since the ball joints on these trucks are known for having a short life span. The 5.7L is a great engine, run good oil and get a tuner to shut off the MDS and I'm sure you'll love the truck.

Great thanks for the help. Sorry for the newb question but what is MDS and why is it good to have it shut off?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Great thanks for the help. Sorry for the newb question but what is MDS and why is it good to have it shut off?

Multiple Displacement System, the computer will deactivate 4 cylinders under certain driving conditions to improve fuel economy. A lot of folks don't like how the truck drives or sounds and prefer to just turn it off.

Ramx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i personally LOVE my 2005 ram i dont care for the more squared front ends that the other trucks went to. but even that being said i do like all Ram trucks better then any other truck out there so when i feel its time to upgrade yes i will be buying a Ram.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally love my 4th Gen. and the it drives smoothly with no issues what so ever. now what i can tell you that i know a few people will agree with me is when your looking at two trucks on Ram and one Ford your going to pay more for the Ford every time. they are simply just more expensive. now if price doesnt bother you then you need to figure which appeals to you more

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the F-150 with the 3 valve 5.4 is something I would avoid if you are keep it for life kind of person. I run a ford store, those a great motors, but they have huge issues with cam phasers late in life, as well the spark plugs have a nasty habit of breaking in the head.

my old rams 2nd and 3rd gen had rear end issues and transmission problems once I got near 100k.

Its a toss up at that point just a heads up is all.