help identifying noise in front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a noise in the front of my truck. It happens around 40-50 mph.

It sounds like what I have heard in past for a wheel bearing going bad, kind of a howling or rubbing sound. When I turn the wheel either left or right it goes away. I just did by brakes tonight, I was hoping it was that, but no. While the truck was up before removing wheel, I did try and move them, checking for wheel bearings, but they both seem tight.

I do have to replace an O2 sensor this weekend so I was wondering what else I can check.

I am not hugely mechanical, but can follow directions well.

Thank you in advance for any advice or ideas.

Steve

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
There is a noise in the front of my truck. It happens around 40-50 mph.

It sounds like what I have heard in past for a wheel bearing going bad, kind of a howling or rubbing sound. When I turn the wheel either left or right it goes away. I just did by brakes tonight, I was hoping it was that, but no. While the truck was up before removing wheel, I did try and move them, checking for wheel bearings, but they both seem tight.

I do have to replace an O2 sensor this weekend so I was wondering what else I can check.

I am not hugely mechanical, but can follow directions well.

Thank you in advance for any advice or ideas.

Steve
I have the same noise and I know my driver's side bearing is bad, try tighter turns in a parking lot, the rule is it's the opposite side you are turning, like if it makes the noise turning right it's the left side, also a bearing would be a growl but a clunking would point to a CV joint.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
A lot of times if you get the tire off the ground you can spin it by hand and hear it make noise if it's the wheel bearing.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same noise and I know my driver's side bearing is bad, try tighter turns in a parking lot, the rule is it's the opposite side you are turning, like if it makes the noise turning right it's the left side, also a bearing would be a growl but a clunking would point to a CV joint.

There is no noise in a parking lot tight circle either way.

Steve

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
There is no noise in a parking lot tight circle either way.

Steve
Weird, you could try what black beauty said and see if one has more drag or more noisy, although I've never had luck checking them that way, we're assuming your differential is full and has good fluid in it, try four wheel drive on dirt somewhere and see if it changes, do you have the actuator on your or always locked like mine?

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird, you could try what black beauty said and see if one has more drag or more noisy, although I've never had luck checking them that way, we're assuming your differential is full and has good fluid in it, try four wheel drive on dirt somewhere and see if it changes, do you have the actuator on your or always locked like mine?

It has the shifter on the floor, other than that, I am not sure what you are asking? I leave it in 2H until needing 4WD

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
It has the shifter on the floor, other than that, I am not sure what you are asking? I leave it in 2H until needing 4WD
You have an 04 with a floor shifter? Mines an 02 with a knob on the dash, weird, I'm asking if you a vacuum actuator on your axle for four wheel drive, thinking with the floor shifter you do.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Front axle is live on a floor shifter. Only TC disengages.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Front axle is live on a floor shifter. Only TC disengages.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Mines the same only I have a dash knob instead of the shifter. So taking out his drive shaft wouldn't help, the diff would still be spinning.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, this morning it definitely sounds more like the left wheel bearing. going down the road about 40 and turn to right, grind grind grind.

Part ordered.

Steve

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Well, this morning it definitely sounds more like the left wheel bearing. going down the road about 40 and turn to right, grind grind grind.

Part ordered.

Steve
Cool, glad you got it figured out.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Axle nut socket size

I am going to be replacing the wheel bearing this weekend, does anybody know the socket size of the axle nut?

Thank you,

Steve

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
I am going to be replacing the wheel bearing this weekend, does anybody know the socket size of the axle nut?

Thank you,

Steve
I'm thinking 1-5/16 or 1-1/4

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody know the size of the bolts to hold the wheel bearing in?

I am pretty sure they are a M14, but I am not sure about the thread.

Thank you,

Steve

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Axle nut turned out to be 1 11/16" - found it at tractor supply.
Weird, ya they have different stuff that others don't and that you wouldn't expect, I worked there last summer/fall as a part time second job, not a bad place to work if they paid better.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Axle nut turned out to be 1 11/16" - found it at tractor supply.
Weird, ya they have different stuff that you wouldn't expect and that others don't, I worked there last summer/fall part time as a second job, not a bad place to work if they just paid better.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
How'd the hub change go? I have to do one of mine, I've changed them on a second gen and it sucked they didn't want to come out for nothing.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was a bear, had to use breaker bar to turn bolts out all the way. Then had to use 1/2 drive extension bar to help press out the bearing. If you haven't seen video on it already, look up on youtube. Leave bolts threaded in, with complete front off ground, start truck and use steering to press bearing out.

Here is link to one video I used as reference. I used my extension.

I needed to replace my bolts, $6 each at dealer, needed to wait a day to get them.

once I had everything out, new parts went in well.

hope it goes better for you.

Thank you,

Steve

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
It was a bear, had to use breaker bar to turn bolts out all the way. Then had to use 1/2 drive extension bar to help press out the bearing. If you haven't seen video on it already, look up on youtube. Leave bolts threaded in, with complete front off ground, start truck and use steering to press bearing out.

Here is link to one video I used as reference. I used my extension.

I needed to replace my bolts, $6 each at dealer, needed to wait a day to get them.

once I had everything out, new parts went in well.

hope it goes better for you.

Thank you,

Steve
I know it won't they suck, interesting using the steering though, I have just learned of a tool that goes over the bolts to beat it out with or using a socket, after years of fighting these things, the trailblazer shocked me when it fell out after loosening the bolts, those ones are super easy wish they were all like that.