Help with inner tie rod removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
So I bought an entire front end replacement kit from Detroit Axle. Kit includes UCA and LCA, inner tie rods and ends and stabilizer bars. All parts are for my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 2wd.

So I'm sizing up the tools needed to do the inner tie rod removal and neither Autozone nor Advance Auto has the right inner tie rod removal tool. I brought everything to the house they had, both metric and standard. Nothing fits mostly because the "bulb" at the end of the inner rod won't fit into the tools that I've tried.

Has anyone run into this same problem and how was it solved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
So I bought an entire front end replacement kit from Detroit Axle. Kit includes UCA and LCA, inner tie rods and ends and stabilizer bars. All parts are for my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 2wd.

So I'm sizing up the tools needed to do the inner tie rod removal and neither Autozone not Advance Auto has the right inner tie rod removal tool. I brought everything to the house they had, both metric and standard. Nothing fits mostly because the "bulb" at the end of the inner rod won't fit into the tools that I've tried.

Has anyone run into this same problem and how was it solved?

Think they are the same on my 4x4, been awhile but pretty sure I used a pipe wrench and if they were stubborn a hammer to break them free.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Ugh [emoji58]. I hate when there's not a legitimate tool available to do the job. I set aside Friday and Saturday to do the job but assumed I'd have the right tie rod removal tool so I could take my time getting it done.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Ugh [emoji58]. I hate when there's not a legitimate tool available to do the job. I set aside Friday and Saturday to do the job but assumed I'd have the right tie rod removal tool so I could take my time getting it done.

I'm sure I had the same issue, wrenches wouldn't fit right, the legit tool isn't always the tool to get the job done, I used a pipe wrench for more bite and no slip, you can also use the boxed end of a wrench on the end of the pipe wrench for more leverage instead of a hammer.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I'm sure I had the same issue, wrenches wouldn't fit right, the legit tool isn't always the tool to get the job done, I used a pipe wrench for more bite and no slip, you can also use the boxed end of a wrench on the end of the pipe wrench for more leverage instead of a hammer.

Guess I'll be on the hunt for a good pipe wrench.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a correct insert for the tie rod tool. It's an odd size, like 22.5mm or something crazy like that. It's usually listed as the tool for the Chevy Colorado.

coolbikeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
not sure how to add a link but if you google matco tools ITRT299 i have one of these at work and it is worth its weight in gold. i love it and havent found an inner yet that it hasnt worked on. i realize you probably wont want to spend that much on a toll you may rarely use .... just showing you an option. have you checked with advance or auto zone ... those places have a tool rental program and should have waht you need though it may be the old school type tool

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
not sure how to add a link but if you google matco tools ITRT299 i have one of these at work and it is worth its weight in gold. i love it and havent found an inner yet that it hasnt worked on. i realize you probably wont want to spend that much on a toll you may rarely use .... just showing you an option. have you checked with advance or auto zone ... those places have a tool rental program and should have waht you need though it may be the old school type tool

Went to Autozone and Advanced Auto and rented every inner tie rod tool they had - no luck.

Wound up paying an ASE certified mechanic to do all the work for $250. Ironically, he used a big pipe wrench on the inner tie rods and they loosened right off.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Went to Autozone and Advanced Auto and rented every inner tie rod tool they had - no luck.

Wound up paying an ASE certified mechanic to do all the work for $250. Ironically, he used a big pipe wrench on the inner tie rods and they loosened right off.

Ha ha see told ya! Glad you got it fixed though.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
A cautionary tale of mechanics on Craigslist.

The longer story on the mechanic working on my front end:

He shows up on time and is dropped off my his girlfriend with a milk crate to carry his tool. I ask where the rest of his tools are and he says they're with his partner whose on his way.

He gets right to work disassembling the front end and whatever tool he doesn't have I let him use mine - until he got to the LCA big as bolt! I didn't have a tool nor did he. At this point it becomes clear that his partner isn't coming (called in sick with the tool truck) so he calls his GF and tells her to go to their house and get the tools he needs and come back.

4 hours later she shows up but without any tools. She decided to hang out with friends and never even attempted to get the tools the mechanic needed.

Needless to say it's about 7pm at this time and my entire front end is disassembled waiting on the big breaker bar and nut for the LCA and a beefy pipe wrench for the inner tie rods. He was completely deflated but I told him he had no choice - my truck needed to be put back together tonight so I could get it aligned the next day and to work on Monday.

The mechanic had a 1.5 hour round trip to get the tools he needed then got back to work.

Finally finished right around 10pm after starting right at 1pm. Could've been done in a couple of hours had he brought the right tools in the first place.