help truck wont turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was pulling into a parking lot and heard a clunk and noticed the drivers side wheel wont turn. I had to have it towed home. I found what i think is the tie rod looks like it unscrewed from the the steering rack.(not sure if those are the right parts) So my question is what do i need to do. Do i have to replace it if so how much and what brand? Is there a heavier duty one? Can i just screw it back in for temparary? Is this something i can do it doesnt look like there is to much to it. Will i need an alignment after.

P5060247.jpg
P5060248.jpg

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From my looks, all that has happened is the inner tie rod has seperated from the rack and pinnion. This could be as simple as screwing it back on, or you may need to replace something on the rack. Thats crazy that this happened, be lucky you were not going 60mph in a turn. I would need a closer picture of where the actual seperation has occurred.

And Yes! You must get a new alignment, I would assume this made your alignment already crap. Moog sells great tie rod replacements, check it out at rockauto.com

Last edited:

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
thats your rack busted, I believe....they run about $200...I think that piece is pressed into the rack there...I may be wrong though

OP
OP
reefguy89

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so i need the whole assembly or can i get just the inner tie rod. the threads look fine.

getimage.jpg

getimage2.jpg

mitchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I remember correctly those thread into the socket. My '04 was lifted and had these spacer things to go in between that spot. The tie rod backed out and the last few threads were damaged. I got a new tie rod and put it in. (Took the spacers out)

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I dont know if you can just just get the inner center link there...I was looking at Advance and Autozone and for rod links they are only listing the outers...

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
O'Reilly offers them but they're like 20 bucks more...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
This is why the correct lift and parts are key on a IFS ... looks to me it had to much stress and said **** it .

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
i looked at rockauto.com like sullivan said and found just the inners made by moog for 52 bucks.

More Information for MOOG EV407

ahhh, yeah didn't look there...I say as long as the threads in the rack arent stripped, get two of them and replace both sides...and get new outers too while you are there...you will def need an alignment. Do you have a leaking rack?

OP
OP
reefguy89

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ahhh, yeah didn't look there...I say as long as the threads in the rack arent stripped, get two of them and replace both sides...and get new outers too while you are there...you will def need an alignment. Do you have a leaking rack?

no had a leaking power steering pump. already replaced that.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the rack threads are fine, then get new inners and outers since its worth the $$ to do them all at the same time. Order from rockauto, its cheaper and you can pay for quicker shipping. I would have your front end checked out after you get an alignment done. And make sure to get one done asap.

When you go to install the tie rods, message me if you need any assistance. You will need to rent a tool from autozone.

OP
OP
reefguy89

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If the rack threads are fine, then get new inners and outers since its worth the $$ to do them all at the same time. Order from rockauto, its cheaper and you can pay for quicker shipping. I would have your front end checked out after you get an alignment done. And make sure to get one done asap.

When you go to install the tie rods, message me if you need any assistance. You will need to rent a tool from autozone.

thanks already got it done just went with a cheap autozone inner for a quick fix. i have to replace the whole rack assembly. When i was taking it apart i found that it was leaking. I thought it was from when i did my powersteering pump but its not. But the inner was simple to replace no special tools needed. just take of the bolt for the outer and tap it with a hammer and it came right out. Didnt even have to take the tire off or put it on a jack.

P5070251.jpg
P5070252.jpg
P5070249.jpg

Last edited:

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Good thing about having to buy the whole rack is I BELIEVE they are lifetime warrantied, so you will never have to buy a new one again...

OP
OP
reefguy89

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good thing about having to buy the whole rack is I BELIEVE they are lifetime warrantied, so you will never have to buy a new one again...

thats a good thing i saw some on rockauto.com but do i need a special one since im lifted. do they make a heavy duty one?

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Not that I know of....how much are you lifted? Are you running stock upper control arms?