How Common Are TIPM Failures in 2005 Ram 1500's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aries Rising

Reaction score
Ram Year
199?
Engine
Hi all,

I'm looking at a 2005 Ram 1500, and I've been reading (with increasing concern) a lot about the TIPM (i.e., Totally-Integrated Power Module) failures, and how dealers are attempting to charge anywhere from $800.-$1,400. to "fix" these problems.

Of greatest concern to me is the potential of the trucks to either stop running, at highway speeds, or to have non-functioning headlights (along with the litany of other gremlins owners have experienced).

Not to mention the pending class actions (for later year Rams, IIRC, and/or possibly other Chrysler/Dodge models?), and the lack of any satisfactory recalls. (I'm aware that later-model trucks did get a "work-around recall," to add a relay to power the fuel pump but, IIRC, that recall did not contain any improvements to the TIPM's themselves....)

So My Questions Are:

Can anyone put a percentage on approx. how many of the 2005 Ram-fleet is affected by TIPM failures?

And, since I would still be looking at other year Rams (if this one doesn't work out) can anyone offer any opinions or hard evidence of how common these TIPM-failures are, in other, specific years?

Any opinions or evidence re what percentage of the fleet is affected would be of great interest to me, as this one issue is about to drive me away from Dodge, entirely....

Lastly, apparently Dorman is offering a rebuilt version of the TIPM, but I do not believe they are for the 2005 model year. In fact, when I searched Dorman Products - Home Page, even using the VIN of the 2005 truck I'm looking at, I got zero hits on a search for a "TIPM." (Nor does Dorman say their TIPM's are any more robust than the originals.)

However, I did find a Dorman TIPM for 2012 Rams, with a brief video discussing the Dorman TIPM, here: Integrated Control Module | Totally Integrated Power Module | 599-985 | Dorman Products

So IS there an improved/upgraded TIPM for the 2005 Rams and, if so, who sells them and approx. how much do they cost? (I did not see any pricing, even for Dorman's 2012 M.Y. TIPM's, on their site and, again, Dorman is not claiming their rebuilt units are any better than the OEM's.)

Thanks, in advance.

Aries Rising

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've had my Ram for almost 10 years now and have been on several different forums for these trucks. This is the first that I can think of that I have heard of this "problem".

My 2004 is at 191,700+ miles as of this morning and has had zero issues.

I just did a quick search on this forum and 2 others for "TIPM Failure". Out of the 3 forums I found 2 threads, one from 2012 and one from 2008, that were concerning an actual failure. I'd say your concerns are unwarranted.

Last edited:

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I've had my 06 for about 5 years now and am on one other forum. I've never seen anything about a TIPM issue on this forum, however I've only been on it for about 6 months. I have read about 3 or 4 TIPM issues on the other forum in the last 5 years. I only cruise the 3gen portions of both forums, so my sample size may be a little small. The things I recall have been where something stops working for no apparent reason, headlights, horn, cruise control, brake lights etc. I don't recall any major issues like the engine dying on the freeway etc. Nothing that I can recall that would put anyone in danger. Most of the fixes other than getting another TIPM from a junk yard seem to have been pretty expensive, 1K+.

Mike

OP
OP
A

Aries Rising

Reaction score
Ram Year
199?
Engine
Documentation of TIPM's Causing STALLING While Driving...

xtremewlr,

Based upon your putting quotation marks around the word "problem," in your response to my post re: TIPM-failures, and given your conclusion that you think my concerns "...are unwarranted....", based on your impressive, 10-year/191,700+ mile-run, free of any TIPM-related incidents, please feel free to ignore the following information. I understand, it's usually easier to ignore unpleasant information--and that is your right. :peace:

But for those actually interested in learning more about the litany of (potentially) dangerous problems posed by these TIPM's, here is evidence, from my reading on TIPM failures CAUSING STALLING while at highway speeds, or less.

[url=http://www.chryslerproblems.com/trends/tipm/]How Chrysler's Defective TIPM is Causing Power Problems[/URL]

And let me state, up front, that while (ONE of) the recalls and class actions involved in this issue (documented, below) do not involve the Rams, various experts (including The Center for Automotive Safety) feel that the Rams should be included in any recalls involving other Dodge/Chrysler platforms as, apparently the TIPM's involved all share much of the same, if not exactly the same, electronic architecture.
https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Latest-News-Wires/2014/0920/Chrysler-recall-Should-other-models-be-included

Further, some of what you are about to read IS from owners of Dodge Ram pickup trucks.

Lastly, I will add that, while I did read of multiple incidences of Ram pickups' HEADLIGHTS not functioning, I did not take the time to re-find (and post here) the documentation for those claims. (Any interested parties can do the reading for themselves, using "Dr. Google," just as I did.)

TIPM Failures Cause STALLING While Driving

TIPM Recall Coming—Forum Post on 9-11-2014
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/379400-tipm-recall-coming.html

See Post #3 re: STALLING:
“Only for 2011? My 2012 has had two events: one while cruising at 50mph when the engine quit and then restarted on its own as I was coasting to the shoulder, and a second event when the engine quit backing out of a parking space but restarted immediately after I turned off the key and then turned it back on.

The truck is an early 2012 model manufactured in October (?) of 2011.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
How many have replaced their TIPM?
How many have replaced there TIPM? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

See post #13 re: STALLING:
“On the first go around yes when i ignored the symtoms..lol... I drove it around a long time after seeing my guages quit and come back on. Awhile later the truck would stall out while driving. Checked all the little stuff like grounds and better battery cabling, then i recalled Lonnie had the identical issue back in 06 which he finally figured out was the fusebox. I got one from ***, popped it in and everything worked perfectly.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------
See post #22 re: STALLING:

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE EVER!
Here's what happened.
On 10-10-14 my truck started having problems starting wouldn't turn over. Until I tried to start it 4-5 then it would start. Well on 10-11-14 I was driving down hwy 12 at around 65mph and it decided to cut off on me stall. Nice thing is no one was hurt. SO I had it towed to Liatha dodge and found out the problem was the TIPM (p54). But now the brake light is on when the brake is not, Traction control light is on, and No cruise control. And they wanted $1,000 to fix the problem. Then they claim dodge will pay you back. I asked them how because dodge is only going to pay for the correct recall. SO long story short I still have the problem. The 800 number will not help at all. My truck will not start and dodge says ohh well. Deal with it until we feel like sending out the recall letter. Then who knows when we will get the part to fix the problem.”
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/379400-tipm-recall-coming-3.html

------------------------------------------------------------
See post #28 re: STALLING: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/379400-tipm-recall-coming-3.html

"FYI on TIPM recall. Look at the two links here, one is a class action lawsuit being initiated for this issue and the other is the actual recall for the 2011 vehicles. It doesn't cover anything built past July 2011. My 2012 was August...go figure."
Chrysler Sued Over Stalling Vehicles, Long Wait for Parts | CarComplaints.com

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM461709/RCDNN-14V530-4400.pdf

Chrysler Sued Over Stalling Vehicles, Long Wait for Parts
Class-action suit for TIPM defect covers Jeep Grand Cherokee, Durango, Grand Caravan & 300M.
Chrysler Sued Over Stalling Vehicles, Long Wait for Parts | CarComplaints.com

Article: Chrysler recall: Should other models be included? 9/20/14
https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/...rysler-recall-Should-other-models-be-included

Excerpt:
The Center for Auto Safety, a nonprofit advocacy group…says the recall is inadequate because more than 5 million other Chrysler vehicles have the same fuel pump power control module as the Grand Cherokee and Durango.
*snip* In the petition, the group contended that an electrical power control module used by Chrysler in millions of vehicles since 2007 can go haywire, causing them to stall in traffic and cut off devices powered by electricity. The allegation covered Ram pickup trucks, Chrysler and Dodge minivans, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango and Dodge Journey SUVs, the Jeep Wrangler, and other models.*snip*

.*snip* The center's petition said that Chrysler's "Totally Integrated Power Module," which includes a computer, relays and fuses, distributes electrical power through the entire vehicle. In addition to stalling, the faulty modules may have caused air bags not to inflate and fuel pumps to keep running, causing unintended acceleration and fires, the petition said. .*snip*”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MikeT,

Thank you for your thoughtful response to my concerns (in post #3, in my original thread, above). You're obviously not one to "hide your head in the sand...", i.e., you are open to new information--and your response is evocative of the type of discourse I'm trying to get rolling here, so I can decide whether or not I want to purchase a truck from a fleet with such (potentially) dangerous problems.

Thanks again, and I hope more will follow your example.

Lastly, to the assembled: can anyone confirm or deny re: whether or not the 2005 Rams have these TIPM-related issues?

Much appreciated,

Aries Rising

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your concerns are likely unwarranted. If you like the truck, go get it. It is possible for the TIPM to fail but there are also multiple other electrical components that can fail and cause the vehicle to not run or the lights to not operate. My head is not "in the sand". This is my opinion as an owner of a 2010 ram with 100k miles on it and 10 years as a dealer technician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
OMG, dude, figure out which forum you happen to be posting this in. All of your evidence, except for 1 link (2 of your links don't even work) is for 4th gen Rams that are 2010/11 or newer. NOT the 3rd gen Rams. You are in the 3rd gen forum which is for Rams from 2002 to 2008.

The link you posted where chefred replaced the IPM in his 2003 Ram... sorry, isolated issues and not related to what you are so worried about here.

Oh, that TIPM recall for 3rd gens? That's for Durangos. Their 3rd gen is 2010/11 and up...

I'm not hiding my head in the sand, as you seem to think. If there is a legitimate issue with our vehicles, I want to know about it. But this is not a legitimate issue FOR MOST 3RD GEN RAMS.

Pull your head out of your ass and pay attention to what YEAR Rams are possibly affected by this issue. And honestly, if you are THAT concerned about the issue, then don't buy one of those year Rams that are being affected! Simple.

Good luck with the rest of your life.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What did I just read....

Lol thinking the same thing.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It almost seems like you are trying to convince us that our trucks have some inherent problem when they actually don't have a problem.

TIPM issues are very uncommon, and yes only one thing you posted actually applied to a third gen ram. If you find a truck you like, buy it. Dont worry about what "might" happen. Something might happen with any vehicle you buy.

I can see this being a legitimate concern if it was a bigger issue. But TIPM problems on 3rd gens are uncommon enough that it's not even worth worrying about.

Last edited: