How fast are your windows?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm curious, I think there is something wrong with either the window motors or the electrical system that powers them. If i try and put up my two front windows from fully down to fully up at the same time it takes 5 seconds for the drivers window and 7 seconds for the passenger window if I press both at the same time. It takes even longer for them to go down. If I do one at a time the driver is a little quicker but not much and the passenger comes down to around 5 seconds. Is this just a dodge thing or a motor thing or a electrical thing like an alternator? Granted my truck is 10 years old but I don't want to replace the motors if it's the alternator or something else that's the issue.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Is the engine running when you do this, what does your volt meter show both before and during the roll?

They do sound a little slow. It could be the tracks binding.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yes the engine is running, i'll have to look at the volt meter. I don't recall seeing it move to much but I'll check again.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Manufactures are cheap. I'm sure they used the smallest possible wire, which ALMOST melts, but not quite.

There is a shorter run to the driver motor than the passenger, so the motor gets more current, goes faster.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine does the same thing... I always thought the passengers motor was goin out, its pretty slow

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
Mine does the same thing the passenger window is really slow compared to the driver window.

WhiteRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 CCLB
Engine
6.7 CTD
My driver window went out before I deployed in Sep last year.

Still haven't got it fixed.

I'm just to afraid to take it in and come out with some huge bill.

Birdman-68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine are uneven too, but not quite as much as you described yours. Maybe 1 second difference going up or down.

Notorious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's not limited to Dodge. My Ford was worse. The passenger window took twice as long as the other windows. Every Ford I drove was like that and it got worse as time went on.

Never experienced it in the BMW or Porsche or Lexus or other non-American cars though. Maybe it's an American thing?

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Depends if I workout or not. I can beat most automatic windows on a good day. On a bad, I just say eff it and open my door. I workout hard

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My 02 is the same. I was actually just thinking the other day i cant believe that they are that slow going up even with the truck running. I'm not worried tho, if it goes, I've replaced a **** ton of window motors before and its cake.

josephw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
neither my pass or driver window barely moved but i was able to figure mine out. Im not saying this is what will fix yours but here is an explaination of what was wrong with mine. The window run channels and their mounting brackets are thin and are very easy to bend. I pulled my door panels off to look at the motor and realized that my run channels on the pass side was pinched in the middle and the driver side one was bent. For the driver side i jus bent it out a little at a time, testing the window speed until
it was no longer binding. For the pass side i took a wide flat head and pryed the channel back open,of course testing the speed until bind was gone. If you open it up too wide you can get a rattle if you have your window cracked and you close the door. My speed is about 2.5 to 3 seconds fully open to fully closed now. Again, i dont know what your issue is but this is how i fixed mine. I guess the channels just bend over time because theyr so thin. Hope this helps!

ben.orts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah mine too. I'll hit them at the same time and the driver side usually wins the race.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I drove into a sudden rainstorm the other day and my windows couldn't be fast enough.

Good question about putting some lithium grease on them. I used to do that with old wind-ups and they'd spin up and down with a touch to the handle (exaggerating a little, but you get the point).

ercmesser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remember white lithium grease spray. Its the best way I found on putting it on. And when you are in there you mite want to hit the door and locking mecs too. It doesnt hurt to lube up them.