How long do the third gen cummins last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So browsing through Craigslist just looking for truck that are for sale got me wondering. Everybody is listing their 3rd gen trucks with 200,000+ miles and wanting between $15,000-$20,000 for these trucks. Since I'm in north east Ohio obviously the trucks are rusted out with typical dodge rust, but because the truck has a lift and some nice rims the prices are absurd. Is it ever worth buying a high mileage cummins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're that high because every spoiled flat brimmed hat kid wants one, and all their parents are buying them lol.. So no they're not really worth it but that's the going rate. If you can find a dually they'll be cheaper cause they're not as cool as SRWs lol.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Any diesel will last a lifetime if property maintained. With that high of mileage and the price I'd probably keep looking. 200k if the injectors haven't been replaced yet they are on their last leg, steering parts will more than likely need to be replaced, trans will definitely need service, along with differentials. A lot of small but potentially expensive maintenance items need to be taken care of at that mileage if it hasn't been done already.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
They're that high because every spoiled flat brimmed hat kid wants one, and all their parents are buying them lol.. So no they're not really worth it but that's the going rate. If you can find a dually they'll be cheaper cause they're not as cool as SRWs lol.

I think this is exactly the problem, all the hillbilly kids around here have them, put some daddy's money into the truck to bro it out then expect it's worth 20 grand after all that. And I would imagine the engine is beat to crap drag racing all their buddy's

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a friend who's dad has a 2006 5.9L CTD with 620K miles on it! He delivers cars across the US with it!

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Also with the 06-07's being the last years without the egr or def they will always hold value.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holding value is one thing but the prices diesels go for around here are absolute **** lol. No reason for it, I saw an 06 2500 Cummins with a lift, wheels, stacks, and 185k miles for sale a couple months ago, they wanted 35k for it. That's absolute fuckery.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate the Bro scene but this isn't what ***** the diesel market value for those purchasing.... Ya'll can thank the F#$@$% up state of Commyfornia for this. It Prices started to go through the roof when cali passed a regulation requiring smog on diesels in 2010.... all no smog diesel prices went up, then all non-dpf year trucks went up, etc etc.

This is why newer smog ladened diesels are so cheap cause you cant even look at them wrong without failing smog....
So the prices climbed in cali first then people out of state learned of this trend and shortly after the law started asking more since they were selling for more in cali and guys were going out of state to find a decent price....

I still see 06/07's asking price for what I paid for my truck brand new..... Its ridiculous!!!!!!
So with that I say F#$% California ecotards!!!!!!!
I'm still bitter lol

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Holding value is one thing but the prices diesels go for around here are absolute **** lol. No reason for it, I saw an 06 2500 Cummins with a lift, wheels, stacks, and 185k miles for sale a couple months ago, they wanted 35k for it. That's absolute fuckery.

Yeah people think a 2 grand lift makes the truck worth 10 grand more. Typically listed as "too much done to the truck to list everything". Basically eBay lights, plastidip and new rims haha

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I hate the Bro scene but this isn't what ***** the diesel market value for those purchasing.... Ya'll can thank the F#$@$% up state of Commyfornia for this. It Prices started to go through the roof when cali passed a regulation requiring smog on diesels in 2010.... all no smog diesel prices went up, then all non-dpf year trucks went up, etc etc.

This is why newer smog ladened diesels are so cheap cause you cant even look at them wrong without failing smog....

So the prices climbed in cali first then people out of state learned of this trend and shortly after the law started asking more since they were selling for more in cali and guys were going out of state to find a decent price....

I still see 06/07's asking price for what I paid for my truck brand new..... Its ridiculous!!!!!!

So with that I say F#$% California ecotards!!!!!!!

I'm still bitter lol

Yep, since we don't have emissions testing around here, I took my cats off just because I could haha

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not really a straight forward answer to give... they can go 50k to 1,000,000.... all depend on how your maintain it and take care of it...

its not a 3rd gen but my buddies 2nd gen had 630k on it and has had no issues with the motor at all, drive train has shown wear and had parts replaced but no motor work and still going strong even at 400hp to the rear wheels

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Not really a straight forward answer to give... they can go 50k to 1,000,000.... all depend on how your maintain it and take care of it...

its not a 3rd gen but my buddies 2nd gen had 630k on it and has had no issues with the motor at all, drive train has shown wear and had parts replaced but no motor work and still going strong even at 400hp to the rear wheels

I guess my main question was if it's worth the 15-20 grand for trucks close to 200k miles. I guess it depends on how the dodge body's hold up, I'm sure the engine will outlast the rust bucket around it

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
The body's tend to fall apart around the engines. My "3rd Gen" Cummins only has 180k on it...according to the odometer :crazy:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are hard to find but i have seen many low 100k for 20-25ish.
200k isnt a deal killer but imo a hot rodded one or one thst has been tuned without the proper supporting mods its a recipe for trouble.
Thats the hard part of buying a used diesel these days... do many tune it to the max tune up the boost but do nothing for fueling and starve the cp3 and injectors and damage them. And leys not forget the guys that turn up the power but leave the trans stock also making it a ticking time bomb

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk