I need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmennes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just purchased a 2002 ram 1500 4.7L 4x4 quad cab. When I bought this, it had 2 problems. It didn't heat very well, and when the engine sits for 20 minutes or longer, it's difficult to start. It has very long cranking times and then fires right up and drives fine. You can emmediatly turn the truck off when you get it started, and it will fire up the first try. I have found that it is easier to start when the pedal to the floor.
When purchasing this truck, it has an engine light on. "Misfire cyl 6". The first thing I did was change the spark plugs and ignition coil. The plug on cyl 6 was carboned up. After I did that, it still had a check engine light on, and it still started hard.
Next I had the battery inspected, it was fine. Checked the air filter, it was clean, had the fuel injectors flushed and I put stp fluid in my tank. After that I tried the coolant temp. Sensor. Didn't help, after that I replaced the fuel pump, filter and pressure regulator.
Once I replaced that, it got rid of my check engine light and the misfire on cyl 6. But it is still starting hard when it sits for 20 min or more.
So after that I replaced the throttle position sensor, and that didn't help.
The only thing I can think of now is to clean the throttle body. Maybe an o2 sensor.
Can anyone help me?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
First welcome. Second I am no wrench but they will chime in soon..
Have you checked ALL the plugs? If 1 was bad I am sure most of the others are! Not sure if there is a fuel filter but check to see if there is a after market filter on the gas line.. may be a stock one as well. Did you have ant 1 pull the codes after the fix's? Look into adding Sea Foam to the fuel. GREAT stuff even with no issues . Not sure how to check a cat. converter , Thats all I can think of hope the gear head help you better then me, And PLEASE post what finally solves the issue

OP
OP
J

Jmennes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for your reply. I changed all the plugs, and the fuel pump, filter/pressure regulator is all one part in the fuel tank. I've tried injector cleaner, but i can try some sea foam. And I havnt checked for any codes after my check engine light turned off.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
your welcome I know I am not much help but those were things I have heard in the past! Not sure if there is a Gas filter in line though ! How does the starter turn, Fast of seem to drag ? I would expect you will get the gear heads chiming in by tomorrow so keep checking back Best of luck. I keep up on this thread and throw out my 2 cents if I think of any

OP
OP
J

Jmennes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The starter turns fast. The only thing that is helping is to have the throttle to the floor, even then it takes 2 long cranks. I'll be sure to post more once I think of something.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Take the time to check the entire fuel system for a small leak somewhere. It doesn't take much of a leak to relieve the pressure in the system. It could be anything from a corroded line to a bad hose to a loose fitting. The pressure lose is usually the reason for poor starting after setting a while.

There's usually a schrader valve on the fuel piping, if you can get a pressure reading on the line, it would help.

Last edited:

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Get some CRC cleaner and clean your mass air intake temp sensor, this can cause rough running, hard start and throw various codes. You should also check the crank position sensor as if it's faulty it will adjust the timing and throw it out so you don't fire in the correct order.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like #6 injector may be leaking. If you have no external leaks, swap injector to another cylinder and see if it causes same problem there. If it does, get new injector.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Before throwing any more parts at it I would do a compression test. My engine currently has low compression on a cylinder and will often take a lot of cranking to fire up. It also misfires when the engine is under load.

OP
OP
J

Jmennes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check engine light came back on. Cyl 6 misfire. just used a block tester, and it passed. That excludes a cracked head gasket. Next I was thinking to check compression, and to check out the fuel injector on cyl 6. Thank you for your responses.

OP
OP
J

Jmennes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I changed the fuel injector on cylinder 6. Fixed my truck. Starts on a dime now, no more check engine light.

OP
OP
J

Jmennes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I changed the fuel injector on cylinder 6 and it fixed my problem. Truck starts on a dime, and no more check engine light.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably had dirt stuck in it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk