I need some opinions 06 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
**newbie**

I have a 06 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I am having some issues with a weak start. I have replaced the battery and the alternator is good. The first start of the day is always the hardest. When it's cold outside it's extremely weak. When it turns over the interior lights will dim and turn a few times before it fires up. When it does fire up it may be normal but I've never had a vehicle do this, it revs up more than normal. So after driving it for a bit and warming it up I can turn it off and start it back up and notice that it is not as weak as the first time, and when it gets warmer out it gets better. I know this post is all over the place, but just looking for any opinions. Thanks so much.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Make sure the battery cables are corrosion free and are tight, both +12 volt and ground lines. Make sure this is done for all the connections with the large cables.

Mike

OP
OP
C

cdeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know cables on the battery are good and clean. Do you know the locations of the grounds?

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Any place you see wires or a wire bolted to the chassis/frame that is a ground connection. The ground from the negative side of the battery may also be bolted to the engine. And it may also go to the chassis/frame. I'm not sure how the gassers are wired, I have dual batteries on my CTD and wires all over the place. You need to just keep looking, your loosing power somewhere and you're about the only person that can find it. I recommend double checking everything, do the simple stuff first and keep looking/checking you will find the problem.

Mike

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
have you replaced the starter?

OP
OP
C

cdeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you sir!

OP
OP
C

cdeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Demon I have not replaced the starter. I was wondering about it as well, but haven't had they typical clicks or complete no starts.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
that will probably be the next step, here is a little test, hook up jumper cables between you and another car, do it when you think it will have the most trouble starting, if it starts fine then its the starter going out, if it does the same thing, then its the wiring somewhere, any time ive had a starter going out, when i hook a second running vehicle to it, never fails to start perfectly

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had somewhat of a similar problem, turned out the hot lead to the starter was dirty. When I took it off and cleaned the connector it was all good after that.

OP
OP
C

cdeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you so much

OP
OP
C