Issues with my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcooper09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I've got a few drivetrain issues I'd like to figure out. Any help is much appreciated and yes I have googled. Lol

2007 ram 1500 sport 5.7 4x4

1. When I start my truck in the morning I can hear what sounds like rod nock but after driving to work it's gone. I'm pretty sure I have an exhaust leaking up front somewhere but this is different. I used a long screw driver to make a "stethoscope" and you can hear the same noise on the driver side bottom end. However it doesn't seem to have any rod knock symptoms.. I just towed a heavy load about 300 miles last weekend with no issues.

2. My "economy" mode kicks on anywhere anytime at any speed. I'm sure everyone is familiar but just in case: what I've read is it's supposed to shut off 4 cylinders on the highway (55mph and up) to save gas. But mine does it leaving my driveway, cruising at 35 mph or when I'm merging with traffic and need to get moving... I know there are four solenoids that control it, maybe they are malfunctioning? I know it can be turned off with a tuner but do I have to keep the tuner connected or can I just get someone to shut this off for me?

3. Sometimes it will act like it's in too high of gear and I'm giving it gas so it just kind of "bogs". It reminds me of driving a manual car just cruising along in 5th gear then giving it gas after slowing down and you just sort of pick up no speed and it just sounds like it's dieing lol.

Again, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as the knock, without hearing it it could be hard to diagnose.

The "economy" mode is the MDS system, and mine also will kick on at any speed, even below 10mph. I never have any issues with it doing that because it is very quick to kick back out when I give it some gas. You can plug in a tuner, deactivate it, and then remove the tuner if you want.

The truck "bogging" is just a characteristic of these trucks. Sometimes mine flat out refuses to downshift until I've almost got the pedal to the floor. It's very aggravating but it is "normal". They just tend to stay in too high of a gear sometimes. This can also be fixed with a tuner though. I have learned to use tow mode when I know I want to accelerate on the highway that way the thing will actually downshift.

OP
OP
M

Mcooper09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok. So it sounds like I need a tuner lol I'm glad it's not just me!

Thanks!