Just bought an 03 1500 with 55,000 miles on the clock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RossC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys,

End of this coming week I'll be picking up my 03 Quadcab SLT 4x4 with a 4.7 and about 55,000 miles on it.

Older couple owned the truck and it has been sitting in a garage for the past 13 years, and has only been driven about 1,500 miles the past two years. I don't know much about the 4.7. But I read on here about the sludge issue, checked the oil filler neck, and found no signs of sludge. The truck was dealer maintained with records, and overall it is in pretty great shape.

I'll flush and replace most all the fluids, filters...and check out the pcv system right away. Hoses all seem to be good.

I've bought older trucks that have sat for a while without use and you seem to find most of the issues due to it sitting in the first few thousand miles.

Is there anything specific to these trucks that you guys think I should pay close attention to?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• IMG_3997.jpg
    IMG_3997.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 63

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep the motor cool or you'll have issues. Or So I've heard.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
The ball joints are known to wear but with so few miles they might still be fine. Nice Truck!

OP
OP
R

RossC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Ron Jon, thanks for the heads up...after a little research, it looks like ball joints are going to be a potential recurring issue.

Found a recall for the airbag on this truck that still needs to be taken care of by searching the mopar.com site. Just FYI incase anyone else digs up this thread looking for info on similar truck.

https://www.chrysler.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/R26.pdf