Leaf springs advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
My rear springs are shot and need suggestions/advice as far as replacements.
I don't tow or haul heavy on a regular basis but it does happen occasionally.
I have a set of Monroe Reflex ready to go in as well. Truck is gonna be in the shop Friday for some stuff so I'd like to get the springs done while it's there.
All advice mucho appreciated.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
What I have found is the springs are flexible and really need some kind of traction control such as CalTracs or a ladder system otherwise they have a lot of wrap up and can be hard on the drivetrain (shaft). With that said there have been a few who have replaced their springs with heavier springs and/or simply replacement springs.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Caltracs are useful for towing or just take off speed/power?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Caltracs are useful for towing or just take off speed/power?

CalTracs are primarily known for traction control for racing, but they are excellent for axle control keeping the drivetrain lined up.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks man, just found another mod i want for my truck! :p

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
So no particular brand as far as replacement springs?

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
$390 for new springs. A piece! Holy crap. Plus labor.
They must be the gold plated ones or something...

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
If you have a special need you might check your local spring manufacturer. Most of the larger cities have them.

DonCorneo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure should start new thread since this is similar to my question:
I do carry a heavy load constantly and wanted to know if 2500 leaf springs will directly bolt into a 2008 1500 Quad-cab 6.3 bed or not?
The load I carry affects my headlights a lot. Makes my low beams too high even after maxing the adjustment downward. Figured if 2500 springs directly bolt in I could pick up a used set from auto recycling yard.
I have helper springs in with new Monroe self adjusting shocks, but it is not enough. I know I need a bigger truck, but can't afford the upgrade right now.
Anyone done this or know for sure it can be done?
Also, what is the heaviest duty shock that will work to keep OEM height?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I believe the 2500 HD springs are wider and not a direct fit on a 1500 truck. Air bags are a good option and I'm sure someone who has installed them will come along to help you with some recommendations, maybe on shocks too. Welcome to RF.

Last edited:

DonCorneo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you.
The problem with air bags is I go on construction sites where something can damaged them, and the load I sometimes carry is beyond there capacity which could blow them out.
I'm also looking at seeing if I can add a second set of shocks so there are 4 instead of just the 2.
I checked with a local spring shop and adding leafs is just about as expensive as buying new ones.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Clearly you are using your truck for purposes it was not intended for, but with that said here is a product I use and like.. I selected individual springs and made a custom application for my lowered truck. Good luck..
Home - Timbren Industries Inc. Suspension Products

DonCorneo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, I am under the maximum capacities of the truck. Total load with people and cargo is a little under 2,000 lbs.
Could the springs actually be bad in 100,000 miles of using? I've only had the truck since 9/13, so don't know its history. It appeared well maintained since there was no serious rust and no body damage. Interior had minimal wear.
The rear shocks have maybe 20,000 on them so they should be good for up another 30,000.
I'm looking into those rubber spring add-ons. They might be the way to go.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I used a Mcguaghy snub plate to mount the Tembren spring that I choose to suit my purpose. It can't get any simpler.
osbg.jpg

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Work is done. New leaf springs, Monroe Reflex all 4, and all brakes.
Huge improvement but I think I expected more. I guess I'm a bit disappointed.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure should start new thread since this is similar to my question:
I do carry a heavy load constantly and wanted to know if 2500 leaf springs will directly bolt into a 2008 1500 Quad-cab 6.3 bed or not?
The load I carry affects my headlights a lot. Makes my low beams too high even after maxing the adjustment downward. Figured if 2500 springs directly bolt in I could pick up a used set from auto recycling yard.
I have helper springs in with new Monroe self adjusting shocks, but it is not enough. I know I need a bigger truck, but can't afford the upgrade right now.
Anyone done this or know for sure it can be done?
Also, what is the heaviest duty shock that will work to keep OEM height?

If you are hauling more load than the Airbags say they can handle that I was looking at then you are very much most likely over your load bearing capacity.

The Airlift Ultimates even have an internal jounce bumper.

As far as debris on construction sites... haha. BTDT
But, you could ... be more careful? :)

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are "Add-a-leafs" a thing of the past?
They used to be ther way to stiffin up a sagging spring pack.

If you got replacement oem style springs I bet your dissapointed. Point being I dount you did anything to your other ones. It is not an item the just wears out with out abuse.

I wished I seen this post earlier. I would have suggested for starters a nice gas charged shock. Many now have positive pressure which actually extends itself and dampens into full load with just one ore two bouces.
My Old favorites from teh good ole days were 'Heckathorn Nitro 9000"
Not sure they are still around.

But as mentioned a local spring shop could have repacked your spring pack with a single leaf that would stiffen up the entire pack. Worlds of diffenence.
With that said you can still have that done to your spring pack.

May I suggest this? You can do it your self and for $55.00 it will more than satisfy al the work you just had done. Im not kidding. If you only want stiffer not lifted go with this. If a couple inches of lift wount bother you get a straight add a leaf. They are stiff and give lift.
Follow link to find happiness. lol

Hellwig 550 Medium Load Helper Spring Add A Leaf CLR | eBay

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I had a cracked spring. Where the bolt and bushings are. I did not want to replace them I had no choice.
Just wanted to do shocks which were definitely shot. While running the wires for my backup cam I found the crack in the spring. After driving it around for a few days it is a noticeable difference. I have wicked OCD and my expectations were shooting too high. I had this delusion that it was going to ride and drive like the day it rolled off the lot which the rational side of my brain realized this was an impractical outcome. It does drive and handle like a 2 year old truck instead of a 12 year old truck. Once I completely overhaul the entire front end then maybe it'll be closer to new. All the body bushings look perfect but I can definitely see wear on the control arm bushings. One thing at a time. I gotta get back to my radio issues.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn