LED light bars, and using existing fog light switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Morning All,

just bought a tube bumper made for dual, 38 inch led bars. i'm not a serious off roader, so these will be for looks more than anything.

so..i won't be spending a thousand bucks on a rigid, or anything like that.
38" 252W Aluminum LED Light Bar Spot Beam for Offroad Truck SUV ATV Boat

question becomes...can i use my existing fog light wiring and switch to wire these bad boys in? i can't imagine they draw much more current than a standard fog light.

let me know your thoughts please? be pretty cool if my little fog light switch on the headlight knob just controlled these guys if i dump me regular fog lights.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
anyone ever use this cheapo light bar?lol

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Use the OEM fog light circuit to trigger a relay to benson the safe side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
I'd check with DOT I'm fairly certain that would be a hefty fine if you get caught

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
You need to check the way they are mounted. The light bars you have a link to won't work with your bumper. They have the mounting bolts on the bottom. You need ones that mount from the side in order to work properly.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd check with DOT I'm fairly certain that would be a hefty fine if you get caught

i don't plan on using them while driving...so yeah, thatd be dumb.lol

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You need to check the way they are mounted. The light bars you have a link to won't work with your bumper. They have the mounting bolts on the bottom. You need ones that mount from the side in order to work properly.

What do you have? the bumper i ordered is the one you have.

you didn't shell out for the rigids they claim are necessity did you?

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
What do you have? the bumper i ordered is the one you have.

you didn't shell out for the rigids they claim are necessity did you?

Yeah we have the same bumper but they have changed it since I bought it. They now have the holes on the side to mount 2 big light bars. I have holes on the bottom to mount them and they used to put 4 big round halogens on it. I didn't want those so I put light bars. I would prefer the one you have to be honest, would make it look cleaner.

And yeah eff rigids. I'm not going to spend $1500 on light bars when I can spend $200. I don't use them every night and even if I replace them 7 times I won't be at the price of one rigid bar.

Reactions: 9th
OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah we have the same bumper but they have changed it since I bought it. They now have the holes on the side to mount 2 big light bars. I have holes on the bottom to mount them and they used to put 4 big round halogens on it. I didn't want those so I put light bars. I would prefer the one you have to be honest, would make it look cleaner.

And yeah eff rigids. I'm not going to spend $1500 on light bars when I can spend $200. I don't use them every night and even if I replace them 7 times I won't be at the price of one rigid bar.

guess i will have to keep diggin on amazon and ebay. see if anyone makes side mounts like the rigids. I hate going out and buying china knockoffs...but when a vendor is marking up their products (also offshore) by a thousand percent...they force me to ebay.lol

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
You want something like a nilight off Amazon I've got a couple from them and they are sturdy but mines still in the wiring phase so can't tell you light output quality yet

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You want something like a nilight off Amazon I've got a couple from them and they are sturdy but mines still in the wiring phase so can't tell you light output quality yet

I love the price but i don't see a 38 inch

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
My tailgate bar is rigidhorse works great super bright