LED Turn Signal/Brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
I have been running Anzo Taillights for about 2 years with no problems at all.

This problem arose around the same time I had a short in the wiring to my taillight, but that has since been repaired, and all of the wiring reads as it should on a multimeter.

This only happens sometimes... there is no real pattern to it. All lights work as they should.
When I hit the brakes or left turn signal, I will get a lamp out ding in the cab, but no lamp out light.
Also with the left turn signal, I will get the fast flash as well.

Now... for the wiring of the taillight. There is a little black box inline that came with the lights that is before the taillight itself. I assume that it is basically a resistor to fool the ECM that it is getting enough power and all bulbs are functioning properly. In this case, with the LEDs, they don't take as much power, so the resistor is necessary to equal out to the necessary power in order to not set off the lamp outs.

So the question is, what do you guys think? Does this problem sound like it could be in the taillight itself or that black box, or is it another short that I need to narrow down?

Here are the lights I am running:
ANZO USA | DODGE RAM 1500 06-08 / RAM 2500/3500 07-09 L.E.D TAIL LIGHTS BLACK - Tail Lights

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue on my 04, it would chime, then turn off a few minutes later. I never figured out what the issue was

Sent from the MOPAR gods!

OP
OP
USMC1188

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
What did you end up doing?

Did you have factory taillights? Or LEDs?

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had LEDs, but when that started happening I was already looking at new trucks so I didn't really care. The weird thing about it, it only happened in the mornings for me. But I would double check the wiring and make sure it's all connected completely

OP
OP
USMC1188

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
That sounds about right... it happens more often in the morning and evening to me when it is cooler, but it did it a little yesterday afternoon as well

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea it was getting passed winter when I installed mine and it would kick on in the cold mornings, it was weird

OP
OP
USMC1188

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
is there any way to hook them up with out the black box?

I can bypass the black box, but what are you thinking this would do? I am open to all options, so just trying to get your thought process on this

Yea it was getting passed winter when I installed mine and it would kick on in the cold mornings, it was weird

It is really weird...

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Your short probably fried your resistors. I say replace them.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I installed a set of Anso LED Tail Lights in my truck, but mine act differently. The lights work great, and are very bright. When I stand at the back of my truck, with the lights flashing, I can hear a clicking sound each time the lights flash, the same sound you hear while inside the truck.

I also noticed when I use the turn signals, left or right turn, the lights will flash 5 times normal speed, then double the flash rate until turned off. I had the same thing happen on my 07 Harley Davidson Fatboy when I installed LED turn signal lights on it. Other than this everything works great. I like the way they work since people behind me see my turn signal light flash, then it really gets their attention when the light flashes double speed.:waytogo:

Attachments

• AnzoUSA LED Tail Lights for 2002 to 2005.jpg
    AnzoUSA LED Tail Lights for 2002 to 2005.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 426
OP
OP
USMC1188

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
I installed a set of Anso LED Tail Lights in my truck, but mine act differently. The lights work great, and are very bright. When I stand at the back of my truck, with the lights flashing, I can hear a clicking sound each time the lights flash, the same sound you hear while inside the truck.

I also noticed when I use the turn signals, left or right turn, the lights will flash 5 times normal speed, then double the flash rate until turned off. I had the same thing happen on my 07 Harley Davidson Fatboy when I installed LED turn signal lights on it. Other than this everything works great. I like the way they work since people behind me see my turn signal light flash, then it really gets their attention when the light flashes double speed.:waytogo:

Is there a black box that is attached to the wiring before the taillights? It sounds like you may be having resistor problems as well.

I am going to pick up a set of these and put them in line in place of the black box and see what happens:
Tail Light Load Resistor Kit | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Is there a black box that is attached to the wiring before the taillights? It sounds like you may be having resistor problems as well.

I am going to pick up a set of these and put them in line in place of the black box and see what happens:
Tail Light Load Resistor Kit | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

Yes there is a black box attached to the wiring on each tail light, and I am sure those are what I hear each time the lights flash. I am ok with the flash 5 times normal speed and then double speed. I haven't had any other problems because of this anomaly. My truck thinks it has a burned out bulb and indicates it by rapidly flashing the turn signals.:D

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What might make a difference is that the previous owner didn't like the afterburner looking tail lights that are on the 07 models. They replaced them with the older 05 models (smooth curved design) tail lights, along with the plugs wired into the original 07 tail light wires. I had to order LED tail lights for an 05 model, so they would be plug and play. I think, due to the way they are wired, instead of just the lower section flashing when the turn signals are used, both sections now flash.

The photo shows the lights I have on my 07 model.

Attachments

• AnzoUSA LED Tail Lights for 2002 to 2005.jpg
    AnzoUSA LED Tail Lights for 2002 to 2005.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
USMC1188

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Interesting... I wonder if that swap had anything to do with it. If there is some wiring malfunction, then that may be your issue.

Hopefully this new resistor does the trick for me