Liquid sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I got my heatercore/ac evap/blend door done several months ago. It was done at dodge dealership and the guy drained the coolant and added new and also with refrigerant. I noticed though that since the job when I have the heater running I can hear this liquid gurgling sound. What could this be coming from?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Bubbles in the cooling system. You NEED to go back and have them bleed out the bubbles correctly, or you might end up with a damaged motor.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok cool thanks! I just texted the person who did the heatercore job to let him know. He works at dodge and did the truck on the side so it was cheaper for me. He will probably have me just bring truck up to him to get it done. Just incase I called a dodge dealer for price quote and he said $57.50 which isn't bad, but that guy at other dodge dealer told me bleeding it might not fix it? Is this guy just saying that to hopefully add more to the bill?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before you take it in there are a couple things to check. First check too see if any antifreeze is getting into your cab. One indication of that is you will be able to smell it. Another is the floorboards will be wet. Second thing to check is the level of the antifreeze in the radiator.
I can almost bet it s a bit low due to the bubbles in the system. Sometimes air bubbles can get trapped and it will take time to get them all out, especially after a core change. If the sound does not go away then let us know and we will look at other possibilities.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Me and guy are talking right now. He said he bled the system but said air could of gotten in. I'm sure he will take care of me. I know there isn't a leak because I do not smell it, and I know the smell since that's why I replaced it lol. I will have to check the floor to see if wet though. I will also check the level of antifreeze. I'm recovery from knee surgery so truck is mostly sitting now, but when I get up to move and it stops raining ill check it all out.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Air bubbles in the coolant? Should that just collect in the rank and get rid of it? I have changed 3 radiators on my families cars and I have never had a problem with air bubbles In the coolant

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Air bubbles in the coolant? Should that just collect in the rank and get rid of it? I have changed 3 radiators on my families cars and I have never had a problem with air bubbles In the coolant

He changed the heater core. Sometimes it takes a while to get all the bubbles out of there. Not all vehicles do it.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the guy who did it told me I could go up to him for him to do it at the dealership or I could do it myself at myself with his instructions. I figured try doing it myself at first. He told me to fill reservoir to top, then unscrew the screw where te top rad hose goes to where it does the bleeding. I did that, and it help the gurgle sound, but didn't fully stop it. Should I just do those steps again?

Edit: should I also do the bleeding on a incline where engine bay is at higher point or leveled surface?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looked at the reservoir tank and saw it was below the cold level it should be so I topped it off, ran engine to let it get warm. Didn't hear anything but when I take it out again today I'm going listen hardcore to see.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok new update. I noticed after driving my truck around and it warming up, when I got home I heard a sizzling sound and smelt coolant. I poped the hood and saw by the top right of radiator it was smoking a little and I noticed coolant was sprayed around. Then I notice coolant on my driveway dropping from my engine. I saw on the right side of radiator from the top to bottom about a 1/2inch across radiator you can see coolant. Does this mean radiator needs replacing?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn that sounds bad. If you have a second vehicle (ok who does not have a second vehicle nowadays??) remove the radiator, take it to a shop that specializes in radiator repair, and ask them to pressure test it. If it fails the pressure test then yes you need a new radiator. Instead of going with the oem replacement, get a good performance radiator that is made of all aluminum.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any brand you recommend?

Shoot there are dozens of manufacturers of radiators. And most are very good. I personally run a Griffin Radiator. Look at www.summitracing.com or JEGS Performance Auto Parts - Holley - Billet Specialties - Edelbrock - MSD - Moroso - Mr Gasket - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS for what they offer.
Only things you really need to know about the radiator is the dimensions of your old one: height, width, depth, and where the inlet and outlet are. Then you can get one that is either the exact same size or a bit smaller. If you go with one that is slightly smaller make sure it is a double or triple pass. But most performance radiators are a ton more efficient than what is originally installed, so a performance single pass will work. Do not go smaller than 1 inch difference in height or width, smaller than one inch will mean you will have to fabricate brackets and it may not look so good. Plus you might have to get a new electric fan to go with the new radiator if you go too small.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the guy who did my heater core hooked up his pressure test pump and pumped it up with pressure and we found no leak. He also re-bled the system and I do not hear gurgling sound. My reservoir tank apparently at one time had a crack in it and the old owner did some half a$$ job to fix it, so I'm replacing that and cap because we are highly believing that is what is causing the issue.

Question on reservoir cap, would one from rockauto.com work or should I get one from dodge dealership?