Looking at the 3rd generation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CasDownSouth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi, the name is Cas and I am looking for a truck.

Lately I've been at some of the Ram trucks and the 3rd generation has caught my interest. Personally, I like the third generation a lot more than the 2nd and much more than the 4th(except 09's and up, but can't afford those).

But right now, I am conflicted between getting a crew or regular cab truck. I am going to be going to college soon, and this is going to be my first truck. I am really not interested in getting a car or an SUV. I have no people I have to cart around or even want too. I want it to be just a ride for me to get school and work. Also, without the extra space, it leaves for less junk for me to through in the back seat. But at the same time, it just seems like I am being pushed to get a crew cab. I don't know at this point.....

Should I get a regular cab or crew cab?

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have got an 04 ram with the quad cab so the 4 door and I'm also in college and I must admit I was going to get a reg cab but got the quad instead and am very glad I did, lots of room for books and bags and everything I need plus got a nice sound system and still can have a passenger if I want but I wouldn't get a reg cab, just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe the 3rd generation is from 2002-2008 and you can get them in either a reg or quad cab. the 4th gen (2009 and up) has the true crew cab which is alot bigger than the 3rd gen quad cab. I have a 2007 quad cab and is big enough to ride around with me, the wife, and 2 fairly big dogs

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I think even 2009 has the smaller doors and the 2010s and up are the ones that got rid of a QC and went to a CC.

I would love to have a CC since you get full sized doors for front and back but I would still say for a 3rd gen and your first truck, get a quadcab truck. You can always use the space for something.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I have 2 07's and an 08. one of the 07's (my truck that I drive all the time) is a single cab. The other 07 is a crew cab that went to my daughter for her 16th birthday. My wife owns the 08. If I had done it over I would have gone with an extended cab at least for my truck.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
im glad i have a regular cab. when im with my buddies and we want to go somewhere always gotta drive a different car and not waste my gas. only seats 2 other people. Easier to park, you have 2 less doors which means less things that break, less things to clean.

just make sure its a Hemi.

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last truck was an 04 quad cab, was in highschool and had it after graduation. I never hauled people around in it, but loved the extra room. Kept it clean, came on handy for going to the store, carrying something that was big but didn't want to get wet if it was raining. The quad just is just more practical I guess in my mind. You never know when you are going to need the room. Do you plan on keeping the truck for a while or only a couple years?

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
im glad i have a regular cab. when im with my buddies and we want to go somewhere always gotta drive a different car and not waste my gas.

:laughing1:

That's got to be the funniest and -most honest- opinion post I've seen in a while!

My two cents; If it isn't a huge jump in price (Haven't compared lately) I would get the Quad Cab.

Like Lone12Star said; They are so much more versatile. I've had standard or even Extra Cab pick ups of the past. You never know where life is going to take you in the next few years. It is so much more versatile, and even with a shell, a standard cab is always such a bummer when you only have about 18" of seat space beside you to secure items while away from the truck. That, and every bench seat standard cab I've ever owned I had a hard time finding my preferred reclined seating position as it was pushed back against the bulkhead. So if you are a bigger tall guy like me, make sure it's comfy before throwing down the cash.

Last edited:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my Rc IMO RCSB trucks just look so clean an symmetrical lol. the only thing I can say I don't like about my Rc is that I can't lean the seat all the way back when i try catching a quick nap hahaha

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks wise I don't think you can beat a regular cab truck. But for versatility the QC is the way to go. With the QC I can haul all the stuff we need for a week at the beach in the bed and still have room for all 5 of us in the cab.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I prefer the RC, it's a matter of personal preference..

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Go big or go home boys...

Seriously, You don't know where your life is headed. When you knock up a college chick you are going to have a hard time putting a baby seat in the non-existent back seat of a regular cab.

My opinion, if you want to build a lowrider or race truck, get the regular cab. If the truck will be used for a regular vehicle, get the quadcab.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
Had a quad cab for ten years. It was great for carrying people.
I like the the look of a regular cab better so i bought one last year. Now if we need the room we have to take the charger. Lol!
All depends on what your needs are, moving stuff...or moving people.