looking to buy a 2004 quad cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flhusa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
i am looking to replace our gmc truck wife totaled with a dodge quad cab 1500 2WD. it has 99k and supposed to be in excellent condition original owner with matching camper shell. recently gotten new tires and brakes. my question is what should i be paying for it and what if any known issues should i look for that usually needs to be fixed. have not seen it yet.

thanks
john

ramminsilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RAM 2500
Engine
HEMI
i have an 04'. Since yours would be a 2wd I can only comment on the issues of rust bubbles over the rear wheel wells and 2 radiators that have sprung leaks as well as a power steering line that started to leak on me that was replaced. Other than that I have almost 113K on the odometer an it still runs great w/ normal preventive maintenance.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF is this a private sale or through a car lot? I'm guessing here, but i would imagine it to be in the 7 to 8k range? maybe even cheaper

OP
OP
F

flhusa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
private party and only have to pay balance of loan which is lower than kelley blue book. has new tires and brakes. never wrecked original owner. he says nothing on truck is non functional. have not seen it yet in person but my bro-in-law knows him personally. just got married and new wife gave him new ford truck.

Hemitom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO the 2004 Rams were for the most part trouble free. as mentioned before id look at the basic stuff as you would look for any used car/truck. look out for loose ball joints,look for any oil leaks from under the truck. and anything else that might look out of place.

good luck and welcome to the forum..

OP
OP
F

flhusa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
thanks for the info. i learned a lot from the gm truck forum and this one already has good info.

Track3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I know its a year older but I have a 03 ram pushing closer to 190k and only had to replace some basic stuff like the water pump and heater core... and that was just recently. My power steering pump just started to slowly leak but its not bad and I plan to fix it soon... So you should be good. I paid $5500 for my truck with 150k on it but I got it super cheap

GeorgiaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have an '04 with about 85k miles and other than the necessary maintenance all it has needed were new balljoints, the rotors turned once and replaced once. That is with 35" tires.

OP
OP
F

flhusa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
gonna pass on the quad cab. went to look at it was the 4.7 dohc. started it up idled rough and service engine light was on. turned ignition on/off 3 times and got the dreaded p0300 code. after researching the random multiple cylinder misfire for that year/engine decided i did not want to chance the headgasket issues these trucks have plus somebody just topped off the ac. was promised by the owner there was absolutely nothing wrong with the truck. will keep looking though because i like the quad cab for the room. thanks for the info!