Looking for a quiet "performance" muffler....ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IQRaceworks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently have a single 2-chambered Flowmaster (3" in/out) dumped under the bed right in front of the axle. For driving around town, and even on the highway it sounds awesome......nice deep idle, pretty quiet when cruising on the highway, and really screams when you mash the pedal. I tow a 25ft ski boat with my truck, and short trips to the lake (1 hour) don't really bother me too much, but the exhaust can get a little loud at times when you starting getting into the gas going up hills.

I recently picked up a small 19ft camper trailer, and I've been going on some longer road trips with the family......and after a few hours, the exhaust note just gets annoying. It's not bad when you are on flat ground, but going up hills when the motor is spinning higher rpms just gets annoying.....I'm tired of hearing it (so are the wife and kid).

I'm going to cut the Flowmaster off and replace it with something else. I don't want to lose any power, but I do want to lose the noise and interior resonance. What should I try? Magnaflow? Borla? I want something that's quiet.....something that won't get annoying after pulling a trailer for 6+ hours.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
If you love the Flowmaster sound, which I do, compared to anything else, it's just sounds more muscle to me...

Try a 3 chamber and have the muffler mounted far under the bed as possible. The more it sits on the cab, the more drone you'll get.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put a tailpipe on it and dump out behind rear wheel. Will quiet it down a lot in the cab.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
See if you can't move that Flo back a bit and dump it out behind the rear bumper.

16ramsportjc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out Gibson exhaust. Have it. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Full exhaust, out the back.
Problem solved.

OilfieldLife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would improve a lot of you dumped it further back. Behind the axle close to the spare. Would make a huge difference I would do that before spending $ on a new muffler even though you like yours.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a corsa on my truck and it sounds sweet at start up and idle and when you get on it it really has a great muscle sound, but at highway speeds it is more quite than the stock was. And i have been towing snowmobiles 7 hours at a time with it and no complaints.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
agree, check out corsa.