Loud HVAC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
The HVAC system is pretty loud. Is that normal for 3rd gens? Like it sounds fine but it's just loud like there is a household electric fan blowing under the dash. Its pretty consistent tone wise at all settings but at full blast it's kinda obnoxious.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Pull your blower motor and clean it out. Dad's makes a horrendous noise when it gets junk in the hamster wheel.

And while you're at it, take out and clean/inspect the blower motor resistor.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Pull your blower motor and clean it out. Dad's makes a horrendous noise when it gets junk in the hamster wheel.

And while you're at it, take out and clean/inspect the blower motor resistor.

^^^ this. Mine makes a roaring sound when it gets crap in it. I just remove it and clean it out. Then stick it right back in, noise gone until more crap gets in there.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^^^ this. Mine makes a roaring sound when it gets crap in it. I just remove it and clean it out. Then stick it right back in, noise gone until more crap gets in there.

The tiniest of leaves will throw it out of balance and make it roar. It's stupid.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
What's the procedure for removal? Not familiar w/3rd gens at all and didnt own my 4th gen long enough to do anything other than oil change and put gas in it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Stuff yourself up under the dash with a light, remove the connector on the blower, remove the three screws, let it drop out. Clean it out, reverse the process.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Sounds relatively simple for a Ram...you mean I don't hafta remove the entire dash for this?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Nope. Amazing, right? :D

My 2nd gen is the same way, just stuff up a little further. It's actually easier for me to pull his blower and resistor than it is on my truck. lol

And I HIGHLY *HIGHLY* recommend pulling the blower resistor as well. We found out the hard way that those suckers can clog up with junk, get hot and pop the solder on their legs, leaving you with only the high blower speed.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Thanks for the help. I'll give this a shot over the weekend.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just make sure the screwdriver you use is a rather long one. Plus the back screw can be a pain in the tail to remove, mainly because it is extremely hard to see, you gotta play feel for it, kinda like some women who will not play with the lights on.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I knew there had to be a catch...nuthin' is easy under the dash on these trucks! Darn it!

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Update: finally got around to this today. Pulled blower out & removed 2 leaves from squirrel cage. Pulled resistor & removed a small handful of leaf debris from in there as well. I had my doubts, I didn't think that would be enough crap to make it sound so loud and obnoxious but that was the issue. Fired it up and ran through the fan settings and it's all good. Nice and quiet. Whole job took all of 15 minutes.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: finally got around to this today. Pulled blower out & removed 2 leaves from squirrel cage. Pulled resistor & removed a small handful of leaf debris from in there as well. I had my doubts, I didn't think that would be enough crap to make it sound so loud and obnoxious but that was the issue. Fired it up and ran through the fan settings and it's all good. Nice and quiet. Whole job took all of 15 minutes.

Hardest part is getting it out the first time. Now that you know what to expect it will be easier in the future.

:winner_second_h4h: