loud noise when turning steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcombs20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 4wd. it is making an awful squeaking sound when i turn the steering wheel. it happens both ways i turn the wheel. when i get on the step bars and make the truck rock it makes the same noise on the passenger side but not the driver side. it also makes the noise when i hit a bump while driving. when the truck is jacked up there is no noise when the wheel is turned

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like bad front end bushings. How many miles on the rig?

Any excessive "slop" or play in the steering wheel? Front tires not showing any unusual wear? Cupping, uneven wavy treadblocks?

Best to have a good, recommended shop take a look at it. Sounds like it's gone "metal on metal" which is not good.

What size wheel / tire combo are you running? It often accelerates wear on the CV joints and other components when you crank the front end up to clear bigger meats.

OP
OP
dcombs20

dcombs20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
its got 96000 on it. The tire and wheel combo is 305/55/r20. haven't noticed any excess play in the steering wheel or uneven wear. a guy from work said it sounded like metal on metal coming from the control arms. and another guy said it sounded like it was coming from the lower ball joint on passenger side

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got home from dealership. Same noises you have. They have to replace upper and lower control arms. Mine has 23,500 miles and I'm a fairly conservative driver with stock everything.

OP
OP
dcombs20

dcombs20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i took it by a shop here today and had them listen. taking it in thursday to get all the ball joints replaced

04gixx6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 05 started doing this last week. I'm replacing upper control arms, lower ball joints, front hubs, front and rear shocks, and tie rid ends. Just bought the truck, may as well cover my bases.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk