low pitched squeel... need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mptoad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Hey folks! Need help with my 2007 1500 4.7l manual tranny. After the truck has been running for a while, anytime you quickly let off the gas there is a low pitched squeek or squeal. Not very loud, and lasts for less then a second. It seems to happen anytime there is a quick change in torque I.e. when shifting with or without clutch, letting off the gas quickly or even if you have the truck shut off and let the clutch out in gear with the truck very slowly rolling. A seasoned mechanic recommended that the drive belt be replaced. I replaced it this morning and the noise is just as bad, if not worse... HELP!!!!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If you've changed the belt then it's most likely a pulley/bearing that's the culprit. Most common one is the water pump but the idler or alternator are likely too. You'd need to narrow it down by using a mechanics steathascope and have someone rev up the engine and try to duplicate the noise at idle.

OP
OP
M

mptoad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Try as I might, I have never been able to produce the noise at idle... Another suggestion I was given was to pay close attention to the clutch, working it in and out very slowly to see if it had any effect on the noise. If it does, then it is possibly a clutch bearing. Does that sound right? I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
You stated it made noise even with the engine off. What are you trying to describe? Coasting with engine off? Are you using the clutch while doing this. What's the common thing among everything you are testing? Throw-out bearing will squeal briefly or continuous when bad.