Lower ball joint replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm getting a rubbing/grinding in my front end of my 05 1500 ram 2 wheel drive when I turn left and right and go over bumps very annoying. I have noticed that my lower ball joints boots are gone. I have ordered new lower ball joint for both sides. I'm going to rent the press from auto zone when I do it.
Dose anyone have a list of what tools(socket sizes) and torque specs I need. Or maybe just detailed instructions. Also some people say you need a alignment after it but im only doing lowers and I'm not messing with uppers and not replacing the tie rods. Just popping them out why would you have to do alignment?

I did have someone give me a tip that I should put the ball joints in the freezer the night before to shrink the metal and it helps a tad bit on the install.
Thanks.

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would recommend spending another 20 bucks and getting the guilds they have at the auto store. Used it to do my upper, tie-rods, sway bar ends. It was very detailed. Decided to pay for the lowers to be done due to needing to detach the shock and spring according to the manual.

As for an allignmeant, I personally never shy away from an allignmant mainly because I have the life time one from firestone. 100 bucks and they do it as long as you own the vehicle. Not to mention a bad allignmeant will screw your tires up. I was always told that after suspension work or new tires to always get it done.