Lower ball joint write up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
Since I am going to be doing this today and havent been able to find one on here, Should I do a write up on how to change lower ball joints on a 4x4 with torsion bars? Yes, No, Opinions?

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think so, its always good to have a write up if one isn't already there ;). Good luck with the task today!!

Sent from my ADR6350

OP
OP
huntram03

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
Thanks!! Its lookin like its gonna be a PITA!! But its gotta get done!

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm very interested in seeing that write up. Any chance you can record it while you're doing it? video always helps I think.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yeah a write up would be good to have here for all the members bud.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i should of done one when i did mine and should of done the rack and pinion when i changed mine twice...

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Good Idea, It just so happens I have to do mine and am ready to Order the Moog Problem Fixers from RockAuto. Those ones have knurled type edges to grip in the hole for ease of future nut removal, greasable and have an exit hole for when you grease to force out the crap without popping the boot. Amazing I can get two of these Shipped from the US to my door for $75.00 cheaper than what it costs in Canada for two.

I only need one at the moment as there is some side play but no up and down. Will change Both. When I did my lift keys I purchased a service kit which was designed more for ball joints and from what I have researched you need it to press them in and out.

I heard if you put em in the freezer for a while before you press them in it goes better.
And if you have rivets (04 I think) and a small plate there that seems to cover the ball joint do not remove the rivets or you willfckup the entire arm. The ball joint actually sits inside a cup that is held by that riveted plate and you need to pop off the retainer clip/piece before pressing it out. 4x4 you gotta take the half shafts out too I pretty sure.

Well worth the cost of the service kit as I beleive its $600 labour for that job. You fellows can rent that stuff.

Sorry Long Post, and can't wait for some pics. Any questions let me know. You Can Do it!

Vague

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I'm thinking about doing mine on my 08 2wd soon. I have a POP noise when I turn tight sometimes.

OP
OP
huntram03

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
A lil heads up for yall.. If I need to replace these again I will be paying someone to do it!! I cannot get the ball joint seperated from the spindle! Im hoping its just this side.. Got the seperator in there hammering the **** out of it and it just wont pop loose.. I tried everything my next step is gonna be to pull the lower arm and take the arm and spindle to a shop.. (Deep breath) back to hammering some more... You 2wd guys will have it a lil easier im sure as you dont have a half shaft in the way..

Who am I kidding.. I will do it again I was just frustrated, had to step back take a deep breath, get some coffee and go try again.. guess what?? It came right off..

Last edited:
OP
OP
huntram03

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
No im talkin bout the ball joint from the spindle not the ball joint from lower a arm.. i have the press for that but i have to get the spindle off first..

uploadfromtaptalk1334260156013.jpg

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't listen to Danny, he just ****** in the wind when he posts on here.

The Brakes and Halfshafts gotta come out to access the top of the ball joint...IMO..
But if you must hammer your truck then you must heat the **** out of the joint till its red hot then it will come out with a ball peen, after that you need to press it in (Svc-Kit consists of a c-clamp and various short hollow pipes). Edit: You will need to chisel out the Ball Joint retaining flange First?? as that is stopping the ball joint from going up and out (yes the one in the Pic). you can see the plate with the rivets I spoke of as well in the pic.

This is a big Job and unless you have had your shafts out I would put the difficulty level at a 7 out of 10. You will have to off the Tie-Rods to get your shafts out unless you undo the upper Joint too!

Good luck getting the control arm off in re-usable condition though (Bushings that is) if you go route B.

Last edited:
OP
OP
huntram03

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
I got the spindle seperated and have the press kit but cant press it out.. Is this the piece that you have to chisel off?

uploadfromtaptalk1334265989238.jpg

Last edited:

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, there are I believe 4 little tabs that are pressed around the edges that hold it it. They are pretty small and hard to see, clean it with a wire brush and you should see them.

L8r,

Kevin

Last edited:
OP
OP
huntram03

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
Ok.. so I obvioulsy was getting more aggrivated with this than I thought.. My dad came over to visit while I was trying to press out the ball joint that I for the life of me couldnt figure out why it wasnt coming out. It turns out I was using the wrong hollow cylinder, I was using the one to install it, not remove it.. After that was figured out I had the fun of getting it back in.. All but the last 1/4in went fine, I will explain why tomorrow or sat when I have the pics with the write up.. Now its time for the real fun.. My regular job of box humpin till 6am :D..

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good Progress, and well done so far.

OP
OP
huntram03

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
Well so far from pullin the wheel, changing ball joint, to getting the spindle back on has taken me bout 1hr 45min compaired to all day yesterday (learning curve lol) once i get everything back together and tightened up i will start on the "How to" write up and upload all the pics! Thank you to all that have commented and helped along the way!

OP
OP
huntram03

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
Hey guys the write up is done and in the 3rd gen DIY section!!