Lower ball joints/ torsion bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
Hey all I am new here and so far I like what I see.. I have a pretty big issue.. I have to change my lower ball joints but unfortunatly I have torsion bars instead of springs and I need the tool to take the bars out.. My question to yall is does anyone have a pic of the correct torsion bar tool that I need to do the job? I got on ebay and there are a few different ones on there but im not sure which one I need.. The truck is an 03 Ram 1500 4X4 QC.. Thanks for any help!

OP
OP
huntram03

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
gome on guys someone has to know something about this tool or how to do it with out needing it..

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't know anything about that tool, but ive always used a C-clamp when unloading the torsion bar...Works great.

OP
OP
huntram03

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
I tried a 9in C-clamp.. it just bent crap out of it then popped off the key.. I then had to go change my boxers.. none of the auto parts stores have them to rent or buy and body shops wont loan them out (not that I blame them) or mechanic shops want over $1000 to do it cause of the torsion bars. If it had springs like most it would be around $600.. I know how and have all tools but that torsion key tool.. :banghead:

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I tried a 9in C-clamp.. it just bent crap out of it then popped off the key.. I then had to go change my boxers.. none of the auto parts stores have them to rent or buy and body shops wont loan them out (not that I blame them) or mechanic shops want over $1000 to do it cause of the torsion bars. If it had springs like most it would be around $600.. I know how and have all tools but that torsion key tool.. :banghead:

Yeah it's not the safest route. I just cut the pad off the end of it so it fit into the key, strapped it to the cross member and went really slow.

Torsion Bar Tool, Dodge, Ram, 1500, 2002 to 2005, Suspension Super T-Maxx Torsion Bar Tool - Suncore Industries.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
do you have a autozone local to you? They possibly have one that they will loan to you. They just require a deposit that you get back when you return the tool.

never mind...just read that none of the stores around you have them to rent

OP
OP
huntram03

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
Well I ordered a tool and it has a return policy so if it dont work it will go back.. It should be here next week.. We will see what happens.. thanks for all the input.

ramfanatic

Banned
Reaction score
you don't have to remove the torsion bars to replace the bottom ball joints

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
OTC 7249 Service Kit, Sorry for late reply, Does Both Jobs, Paid $127 Bucks.

OP
OP
huntram03

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
you don't have to remove the torsion bars to replace the bottom ball joints

Yea I tried not removing it on the passenger side and there was a ton of pressure on the A arm I couldnt even get the shock bolt out.. I got the tool to remove them so I played it safe and removed them.. Just one less thing to worry about.. For those that are wondering I am doing the write up on how I did mine with pics tonight on my next break..

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I did my lower passenger ball joint today, I removed only the Brake Caliper, Rotor, separated the upper ball joint, removed the 1/2 shaft which gained me clear access to the joint. OTC service pull and press, re-assembled with torque specs all round, copper grease and blue threadlocker where needed and i was good to go.

3 1/2 Ton floor jack. gravel driveway and rubber fatigue for my veteran knees.
My Camera died but I got one good pic of the tool in action pressing out the joint.

I decided to go OEM as they are a sealed unit and nothing to chisel out.
Hope the work goes well for you as every job you do yourself saves on paying "labour".