made the switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dth418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
made the switch to Synthetic this weekend. 89000 Miles.. Went with Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic. The tick has already quieted down and between the new oil and me coming out of the throttle a little bit ive already picked up an extra MPG.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
ive never used anything other than synthetic in any vehicle ive ever owned.

Bigdodgeram828

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Well I'm running 152k miles wonder if it's to late to switch. My truck has been so used to castrol I'd almost be afraid.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
^^^ I would say to late as your seals are use to conventional

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Yeah don't won't more problems than I already got lol

Just go to Castrol High Mileage Semi Synthetic...thats what I use in my second gen, with a NAPA Gold Filter...I am at 80,700 miles. I wont use anything other than Castrol EVER.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a myth that seals are "used to" one oil or another. You can switch to synthetic at any time.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
i switched over on my truck at the first oil change. 4k miles

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It's a myth that seals are "used to" one oil or another. You can switch to synthetic at any time.

Agree I usually only run conventional for first 1 or 2 cycles then I run all synthetic always. I tried castrol oil once seemed OK. I have always been a Valvoline or Mobil person until I switched to Amsoil. Synthetic is awesome for winter I like the way it stays consistant and does not get thick when temps get very cold. I find my vehicles start better when it gets down in to -30s or lower but can still protect well in the summer when it gets to 100.

$miley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just go to Castrol High Mileage Semi Synthetic...thats what I use in my second gen, with a NAPA Gold Filter...I am at 80,700 miles. I wont use anything other than Castrol EVER.

Do you work for Castrol? I know you have said you work for oil company in the past.

$miley

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Do you work for Castrol? I know you have said you work for oil company in the past.

$miley

We use to blend and package for Castrol, but no, I do not work for them. I work for Amalie Oil Company. We own Wolfs Head, Amalie, Xcel, Rallye and Value Tech. We also blend and package 1/3 of the nations Advance Auto Parts Oils and ATF's (we only package the ATF+4, we do not blend it, it is bought from Ashland (Valvoline) in bulk and packaged in Advance bottles), Federated Auto Parts, Professionals Choice Auto Parts, Pronto Auto Parts and quite a few other private labels. We also do bulk container blends and shipments for SOPUS (Shell) for oils like Rotella.

OP
OP
dth418

dth418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am definitly happy I made the switch. I had a couple people tell me that my seals would be "used" to convetional but i have had no problems yet. The engine seems to run a little smoother and the "tick" is much quiter at start up. I ran a Fram HIgh Mileage filter to. I heard alot of bad things about Fram filters but i have used them on all my vehicles and never had a problem. I also switched the fluid in the rear diff, and I dropped the Tranny pan about 7 months ago and im picking up better MPG and the trucks runs and shifts smoother.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We use to blend and package for Castrol, but no, I do not work for them. I work for Amalie Oil Company. We own Wolfs Head, Amalie, Xcel, Rallye and Value Tech. We also blend and package 1/3 of the nations Advance Auto Parts Oils and ATF's (we only package the ATF+4, we do not blend it, it is bought from Ashland (Valvoline) in bulk and packaged in Advance bottles), Federated Auto Parts, Professionals Choice Auto Parts, Pronto Auto Parts and quite a few other private labels. We also do bulk container blends and shipments for SOPUS (Shell) for oils like Rotella.

That's good info about the ATF+4!

1AJeremyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've always liked Mobil 1. I have used Shell/Pennzoil in the past as well and have had good results. The platinum synthetic that Pennzoil is right there with Mobil one for additives and everything. They seemed to have stepped up there game a bit but with the high performance marketing too. Seen way too many commercials for there new stuff

OP
OP
dth418

dth418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when i had my 07 eclipse i had it supercharged and ran Penziol Plantinum Full Synthetic and loved it, the motor just bulled around town and I was in palm Springs area at the time where the temperatures exceeded 120 degrees during the summer

Heath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Agree with the statements that an engine or seals get used to an oil. You can switch anytime. In high mile vehicles what sometimes happens is a good synthetic with high detergent additives can clean out seals plugged with varnish and sludge and cause a leak. Syns don't cause leaks they may just uncover other problems.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Good move, I switched to synthetic blend high mileage (142K miles) last fall and so far so good (no leaks). The K&N HP 2004 Filters are nice too!

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
i switched to synthetic a few changes back....still ticks....my only complaint.