Mega Cab Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mraybrake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10 Magnum
Hey guys,
Just joined the forum. My dream truck would be a 3500 Mega Cab. I live and work on a dairy farm. We have a flat bed trailer and a cattle trailer. The mega cab will be nice for at shows and I would like to haul people in the back seat comfortably.
Anyways, my question is what model year is best for the 3500 Mega Cab? anything 2010 and newer is out of the question.
how is the 6.7 working out compared to the 5.9 put in 2006 and some early 2007's?

while i'm on the mega cab topic, for those of you who have a mega cab have you converted the short bed to long bed? if so can you provide details?
Thanks in advance!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Having owned both a 5.9 and a 6.7, I prefer the 5.9 for my needs. I am more performance oriented, and modifying the 5.9 is much easier and much cheaper. If you go with a 6.7, I highly recommend getting rid of the DPF and EGR and add a tuner. Without these mods, the 6.7 has poor mileage and is weak performance wise.

As for space, you cant beat the megacab. My work truck is an 08 Mega 6.7, and it has been a great truck. Have 150k miles on it now, and the only issue we had was when it was new and Dodge was still working out the bugs with the new tuning and emmisions junk.

OP
OP
M

mraybrake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10 Magnum
thanks for the reply. I just saw a 2008 listed on craigs list and was inquiring about it. How much did you put into the 6.7 to get it to performing well? Also, being that this truck has been used is it safe to assume that the bugs are worked out? If not, what should i look for?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
DPF delete costs about $115, EGR Delete is $100, and Tuner is $900. The power gains and bump in mileage wil more than make up for the initial cost though. I gained 3-4mpg with the deletes and tuner. That adds up quick especially if you put alot of miles on those road trips.

OP
OP
M

mraybrake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10 Magnum
Did you ever have the truck when you had the two deletes without a tuner? Which tuner did you use?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
If you delete the DPF and/or EGR, you will throw a check engine light without the tuner...so all 3 mods are required to make it run to its potential.

I have an H&S mini maxx on my 08, and their XRT pro on my 2010. XRT pro is a couple hundred dollars cheaper, but doesnt have near the features. The mini maxx is well worth the extra $$.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
2007 or 2008 were excellent years for the trucks. All the bugs had been pretty much been worked out. The usual maintenance items come up but there are no fatal flaws in them. If you can find a later 2006 or early 2007 with the 5.9 that would be an excellent truck to have if the truck is in good condition.

The long bed conversion is done by several firms but the best one I've seen was done by a firm in N. Salt Lake City, UT called Precision Bodyline. I have a friend in Roy, Utah (just up I-15 from SLC) who had his 2008 done there. He's had no problems with the truck and it is an awesome conversion.

OP
OP
M

mraybrake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10 Magnum
Is there anyway you have pics of yOur friends truck that yOu could upload pics maddog? I think Ive heard of precision, but being in pa it would be tough getting the truck out to Utah without paying an arm and a leg haha.
My brother has an 01 cummins andhe has a juice with attitude chip. That thing sure gave it some nice power!

Last edited: