Morning noise in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Panama_Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am getting a noise in reverse only when it's cool out from the rear brakes. It only happens in reverse and only for a few seconds, but it is slightly annoying. I am guessing the e brake?

They just redid the e brake pre delivering the truck to me a few months ago as well.. I've already been back in for them to mess with it and it's no different.. I live on the coast so rust happens overnight I was thinking it might be the rust getting scrubbed off first thing, but the fact that it only does it when it's cool out kind of has me scratching my head.. If I don't leave in the morning and fire the truck up mid day when it's warmer I hear no noise?

Any ideas?

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins - 12,800 original miles
I have an 04 1 ton dually and sometimes backing out of my driveway i hear something similar....just the one time, then it doesnt happen again. I dont think it is the e-brake as mine was removed when we bagged and layed it out....i always thought it was just a cool brake pad against a cool rotor and this slight tone was simply a result of that. I dont think its rust because mine pretty much stays in the garage permanently, except the occasional around the neighborhood drive, and ive never seen a bit of rust on the rotors. The pad doesnt "grab" any different at all, just makes a split second droney whiney sound. It has done it since new and has never gotten worse sounding or more frequent....So id bet its nothing major.....

OP
OP
P

Panama_Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The pad doesnt "grab" any different at all, just makes a split second droney whiney sound.

That sounds about like what I have here.. Moan moan moan, put it in drive gone.. Never hear it the rest of the day until the brakes cool to morning temps.. If I just slightly touch the brake while it is idling in reverse the sound goes away..

Man if that's your truck in your avatar sweet that looks awesome..

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins - 12,800 original miles
That is mine and thanks!!! :) Yea that moaning in reverse i think is just cool pad against cool rotor....

OP
OP
P

Panama_Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems if it is 64 degrees or above no noise, below that I get the noise..LOL.. I think I am going to get some new rotors and pads when I get around to it. All works in the meanwhile, but with a moan, quiet, moan, quiet, moan, etc in the morning in reverse it sounds like warped rotors to me.

Lets hope after it's just quite and not moan the whole time backing out of the driveway in the morning...LOL...