My quick fix for AC not blowing hard/evaporator freezing up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I was having the typical AC issues which included limited airflow and I also noticed that my evaporator was freezing up. Well I inspected the blend doors and noticed that the fresh air/recirculation door wasn't closing all the way. It wasn't broke but it was clocked wrong on the motor. So it would open all the way for fresh air but when put on recirculation it would only open half way. So I removed the motor and fixed that, but it didn't solve my issues.

Then another member mentioned an evaporator cleaner; Kool-It by Lubegard. Well I was skeptical but since it was around $10 what would it hurt?!?! Well, this product far exceeded my expectations. I'm getting about DOUBLE the airflow out of my vents and I haven't had any freezing of my evaporator. I suspected that it was a little dirty as occasionally I'd get some debris out of the vents, but I never expected this much of a change! If you think your evaporator is dirty and it's effecting airflow, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this product. Best $10 I've spent in a long time. I just wish I would have known about it at the beginning of the summer. [emoji19]

bed24286efcd84d6b16171c9e03ca73d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
How do I get to the evap to clean it?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
That's a very good question. Seems like nobody has an answer.
I'd figure captain freon would know. Maybe there's a video on YouTube. I'll take a look there.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine

You can get to it by taking off the glove box and radio bezel, then behind those is a larger plastic piece that also comes out, then you'll have access to the hvac unit. The radio bezel uses clips, the rest are phillips/6mm screws. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

OP
OP
Jerseystyle

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

This cleaner goes through the drain tube on the firewall. It comes with a long tube that you snake up the drain tube as far as you can.

Captain Freon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
So I was having the typical AC issues which included limited airflow and I also noticed that my evaporator was freezing up. Well I inspected the blend doors and noticed that the fresh air/recirculation door wasn't closing all the way. It wasn't broke but it was clocked wrong on the motor. So it would open all the way for fresh air but when put on recirculation it would only open half way. So I removed the motor and fixed that, but it didn't solve my issues.

Then another member mentioned an evaporator cleaner; Kool-It by Lubegard. Well I was skeptical but since it was around $10 what would it hurt?!?! Well, this product far exceeded my expectations. I'm getting about DOUBLE the airflow out of my vents and I haven't had any freezing of my evaporator. I suspected that it was a little dirty as occasionally I'd get some debris out of the vents, but I never expected this much of a change! If you think your evaporator is dirty and it's effecting airflow, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this product. Best $10 I've spent in a long time. I just wish I would have known about it at the beginning of the summer. [emoji19]

bed24286efcd84d6b16171c9e03ca73d.jpg

Got iyb on namazon today. I'll let u know how I make out with it.

OP
OP
Jerseystyle

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got iyb on namazon today. I'll let u know how I make out with it.
I honestly wasn't expecting much but for $13 it was worth a try. I was shocked at how well it worked for me. Hopefully it helps you as well.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
This cleaner goes through the drain tube on the firewall. It comes with a long tube that you snake up the drain tube as far as you can.

You mean I don't have to take my dash out again? It will clean the core just by shoving it in the drain? Nice, saves me time and agrivation.

OP
OP
Jerseystyle

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You mean I don't have to take my dash out again? It will clean the core just by shoving it in the drain? Nice, saves me time and agrivation.
Yep, the main reason I gave it a try.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
What really sucks is that I just had the hvac apart to replace all 5 doors and 4 actuators two weeks ago and didn't even dawn on me to clean the cores while I was in there then.:025:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn