Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > General Discussions

General Discussions

Need a Crash Course in 07 1500 ram

This is a discussion on Need a Crash Course in 07 1500 ram within the General Discussions forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
Literally! Hello new friends, I just purchased a 07 Patriot Blue Ram 1500 quad cab Laramie 4x4 with 3.92 posi ...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default Need a Crash Course in 07 1500 ram
Literally!

Hello new friends, I just purchased a 07 Patriot Blue Ram 1500 quad cab Laramie 4x4 with 3.92 posi rear end!

That is the good new, The bad news is it took quite a hit in the drivers front area. From my very quick post purchase inspection it looks like it will need front fender and bumper assemblies, along with quite a few front suspension bits. At a minimum the lower control arm has snapped at the mounts and the upper control arm ball joint popped. That is what is initially visible. While all the mounting surfaces of the parts look to be in good shape, I am sure I will find more damage somewhere with closer inspection.

While I might not necessarily mod this truck just for the sake of modding, I always look at every failure as an opportunity for improvement. I am viewing this damage as an opportunity to redo the suspension and possibly get a really cool new bumper and or a better than stock look in the processes.

With that said, I am looking for help in identifying the best replacement parts and components to rebuild. Can you help to point out the best parts and vendors to use in rebuilding a vehicle with this kind of damage? Would you know of area I should inspect more carefully for less obvious damage and/or ways to test component stress?

If it helps to guide your recommendations, I plan to use this truck as a hunting and fishing rig towing a 26' power catamaran hull to destinations when not hunting some back country.

Attached are the starting pics for my new build.
Attached Thumbnails
myram1.jpg   myram2.jpg   myram4.jpg  

myram7.jpg   myram9.jpg  
derekp likes this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
Hardcore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Engine: 1990 5.9 Cummins
My truck was hit just like that but harder when I bought it. It had to have the frame pulled behind the fender. It's easily fixable though. Just look around for any stress fractures or things like that. Take a good look at your control arm mounting points. You said they looked okay but another set of eyes can't hurt. I say if you have the money to fix it go ahead and go aftermarket on stuff. If it were me I would go ahead and lift it, put new wheels and tires, and an aftermarket front bumper with leds all over it.

How many miles are on the truck by the way? I love the color.
usaf2006 and MarkV like this.
derekp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

78K on the clock one owner very well maintained. I joined the owners area from ram last night and when I was listed in the system as the owner, I got to see service the records on it. The oil was changed by the same dealership every 5K miles! I was also able to pull the build sheet. It was exactly as I would have optioned it myself if I had the chance in 07! Yes I agree too on the color its been my favorite forever, so far real happy with what I am discovering, we will see when I get it home.

Please send links to the aftermarket parts you would choose. Budget is also a concern, at least until I know for sure what I am dealing with.

Finally I was not able to get the vehicle to start. I am guessing there is some emergency fuel shut off circuit breaker somewhere that trips when the vehicle takes a hit. Would you or anyone know if an 07 has that feature and if so, where and how do I reset it? If not, any other ideas on what would cause it not to start? I checked the codes there were no codes set.
derekp likes this.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7 Eco Gasser
Originally Posted by Hardcore1 View Post
78K on the clock one owner very well maintained. I joined the owners area from ram last night and when I was listed in the system as the owner, I got to see service the records on it. The oil was changed by the same dealership every 5K miles! I was also able to pull the build sheet. It was exactly as I would have optioned it myself if I had the chance in 07! Yes I agree too on the color its been my favorite forever, so far real happy with what I am discovering, we will see when I get it home.

Please send links to the aftermarket parts you would choose. Budget is also a concern, at least until I know for sure what I am dealing with.

Finally I was not able to get the vehicle to start. I am guessing there is some emergency fuel shut off circuit breaker somewhere that trips when the vehicle takes a hit. Would you or anyone know if an 07 has that feature and if so, where and how do I reset it? If not, any other ideas on what would cause it not to start? I checked the codes there were no codes set.
It could be any number of things, it's probably something simple like a wire disconnected.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice man. That's good that it was taken care of, minus being wrecked. Lol

No there isn't a fuel shut off on these trucks or at least not one that I know of. I'm used to seeing those on ford's mostly. Like Silverstreak said it's probably a disconnected wire or something like that. Does it have power? Does it turn over?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes it has power, Yes it turns over.

Anyone have any thoughts on what suspension bits to order. I am so anxious to get some parts on order and enroute.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Anyone have any thoughts on what suspension bits to order. I am so anxious to get some parts on order and enroute.
Can you put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if it has fuel pressure? A hit like that could knock the sending unit out of wack in the fuel tank. Also, it does have fuel correct? If it sits long enough it could be incorrect on the cluster as to if it has fuel, expecially if somebody has siphoned the fuel out with it sitting at that lot.

I wouldn't know what all it needs suspension wise without seeing better pictures or seeing it in person. Where are you located?
MarkV likes this.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

From the looks of it, it seems that you lucked out and only needs an UCA as far suspension goes... Then you need headlight, fender, fender liner, Laramie bumper and chrome bumper trim piece.

Forgot to add that you might need a leaf or two for the back, no telling how long that truck has been sitting like that, if you can get more and better pics we can go from there. Like, Derek said, make sure you have fuel pressure, that truck should have remote start on it so if you stand by the fuel door when you press it twice you should hear the fuel pump prime and then start (at least try). If you pull the fuse lid off check that all the fuses are good, I don't remember which one I blew during my modding adventures, but I got a similar result and it was a fuse.
MarkV and derekp like this.

Last edited by SilverStreak88; 10-23-2016 at 11:26 PM.
SilverStreak88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by derekp View Post
expecially if somebody has siphoned the fuel out
You might know something about that, eh?
derekp likes this.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by SilverStreak88 View Post
You might know something about that, eh?
Lol wayyy too much.
MarkV and SilverStreak88 like this.