need help identifying a knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well it seems like I'm having one issue after another. Yesterday while driving back from autozone I get within 1/4 mile of my house and all of a sudden I feel and hear a knock in my truck. No engine lights come on and I don't feel or hear it all the time. If I'm on nice smooth road all seems fine,as soon as iI go over any bump small or large it sounds like something is banging into the bottom of the truck. I've tried to find out if anything is loose by climbing under there but nothing is moving around. I have all four new bilstein shocks so. It shouldn't be those. I have brand new u-joints so it shouldn't be those. Any ideas on what else to check!

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try to shake your exhaust and see if maybe a bracket broke or came loose.

L8r,

Kevin

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yep I second checking for a broken hanger.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you guys are good. I was looking at my tire from a distance and noticed that one of my lug nuts has broken off, so while I was inspecting that I noticed that my muffler bracket had broken. So off to Autozone I go and got a few parts and now it's all fixed up. just spent the last hour spraying the bottom of the truck with some rubber undercoating from 3M, I'm not expecting much but it would be nice if it would lessen the sound of the road noise.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so this morning when I go to bring my son to school i have my check engine light come on. Stop by the local Autozone and I have two Evap codes. I wonder if I caused this by spraying some rubberized undercoating the yesterday after fixing my muffler. Maybe I got some on the charcoal filter thing underneath or if the spray from that can was too strong and I knocked loose a hose. I guess I'll be under the truck again tonight. Any ideas on what and where I should check first?

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Did you spray it on EVERYTHING or just the underside of the truck

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I tried to just get the frame and body of the truck but judging by the smell I got some on the exhaust as well. So I'm sure I got it on other things.