Need some help here...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was just driving tonight and heard a slight squeal when i turned, thought it was just low on power steering fluid. All of a sudden it gets harder to turn, then no power steering, so i pulled off into a gas station and...

photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg

crap...
was able to get it home but didnt take much of a look because its too dark. but im guessing the seal blew, when i first pulled over the boots both looked like that first pic and they felt full of air. i tried putting some more fluid in(had some with me) but once i started turning it began to spew out of that one boot.(that last pic)
So my question is, how hard is it to replace the seal, anyone ever done it? or would it be better to just replace the whole thing($$$...)?

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When somthing breaks, upgrade it! I always say, but damn that looks bad, id say go ahead and replace everything 10yr old truck might as well. Otherwise youll fix one side, then boom goes the otherside. Not sure on the prices

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya i think they sell seal kits where you get it all for pretty cheap, but im wondering if its even worth all the trouble. From wht ive read it seems like a lot of work to replace the seals

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Im having all mine redone, but i sure as hell aint doing it lol. Its a lot of work to do anything to those inners

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ya, it scares me to think about messing with all of it. I might just replace it. and i bet that extra spring spacer I added has something to do with it so thats coming out, its causing too many problems...

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
just go to rock auto and get a new rack and pinion. it comes with new inners and get a new set of outters while your at it.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do both sides or, since it's got quite a few years on it, just replace the rack.

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
went and got a new rack and pinion, also got new outers. I got passenger side tie rod off but the drivers side aint comin off. I used a "tie rod remover" (pickle fork) with just a hammer and it seems like the ball joint is just coming out of the socket, the fork is pretty much useless now because its all the way in and nothings happening

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just used a steel hammer and hit the metal side of the tie rod. Gotta hit it hard and sooner or later itll come out. It took like 20swings for my 08charger for it to come out. Just becarful not to break anything!

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
are you talking about getting the outers off? is so just unbolt and turn the wheel a few times it should pop right out. You shouldnt have to take to inners off if your gonna replace the rack.

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
are you talking about getting the outers off? is so just unbolt and turn the wheel a few times it should pop right out. You shouldnt have to take to inners off if your gonna replace the rack.

Does that really work??? Haha i honestly havent even thought about that... Ill give it a try later tomorrow, have a bunch of family Easter stuff to go to

And ya im just taking the outers off

Last edited:

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does that really work??? Haha i honestly havent even thought about that... Ill give it a try later tomorrow, have a bunch of family Easter stuff to go to

And ya im just taking the outers off

yep thats how i got one side off. the other i just tapped with a hammer and it came free.

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
turning the wheel didnt help, but my dad borrowed some old school puller from my grandpa, and it did the trick in no time. got it all fixed up and back together. planning on replacing all the other ball joints this week and getting rid of that spacer.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Damn the exact same thing happen 2 me twice and both times I was about 2 hrs from home-_- I can change a rack and pinion in 45 minutes on my truck:D

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that sucks, i hope i never have to do it again. i hate having to do things like this on the ground. thats why im replacing all of my suspension at school while i still have access to a lift lol

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes I have never had a lift, yea I still have to do mycv axles, last time i got frustrated and gave up but they are making way to much noise now for me to ignore them, gonna have to get on them soon

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
haha that sucks. thats what i do sometimes, it seems like i always get under the truck then have to get up to get another tool, over and over. then something wont come off and i get pissed off and have to just take a break for a couple hours

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
turning the wheel didnt help, but my dad borrowed some old school puller from my grandpa, and it did the trick in no time. got it all fixed up and back together. planning on replacing all the other ball joints this week and getting rid of that spacer.

i guess i just got lucky when i did mine. I just turned the wheel and pop the where off.

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i guess i just got lucky when i did mine. I just turned the wheel and pop the where off.
ya i was really hoping that wouldve worked, i was actually getting excited as i turned the wheel waiting for it to pop off lol. i dont know why that one was so hard to get off...