new diff gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradpc987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going to be swapping out my 3.92's with either 4.10's or 4.56's. Any suggestions? I was leaning towards the 4.56's myself.

I also need to know about ordering the ring and pinion for the front diff.. Are they the same? How do I tell what size is in there right now without cracking it open?

Any other random differential words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I also need to know about ordering the ring and pinion for the front diff.. Are they the same? How do I tell what size is in there right now without cracking it open?

Thanks

We don't know what model you've got, but the differentials are..um..differential from not only front to rear but with drive train. For example, my 2005 2500 has a 9.25" front and a 10.5" rear. Same truck with a CTD has an 11.5" rear.

EDIT: I think the regular 1500 rear differential is a 9.25" and the front is something ~8"-8.5". You could probably figure out that by looking at websites selling gear sets.

Last edited:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's some fancy way to find out by raising the back of the truck up, and doing one full rotation on the drive shaft and comparing it to how many times it takes the DS to go around to make the tire do one full rotation (i think that's right.. lol).

Otherwise just take your vin and go to Ram Trucks - Contact Us
click "Equipment Listing" on the left and plug it in. it'll tell you what gears you have.

Also, go to Moes Performance website and look at their gears. Pretty good (average) prices there, and they help a lot if you have questions.