New to me 2007 Dodge RAM 1500 (Transmission Fluid capacity / Code P0524 questions)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveMat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,
I recently purchased a new to me 2007 Dodge RAM 1500 SLT 2WD with the 5.7 motor in it and 66,000 on it. It is in good shape as far as I can tell but I don’t know what all has been done to it (maintenance-wise) so thought I should do the full gamut. All went pretty well except for two things:

1. From what I read, pulling the transmission pan and changing the filters should require 5.5 quarts of ATF-4. By the time I was done, I ended up putting in 8.5 quarts in. The truck does have the tow package and has listed an auxiliary transmission cooler, is that what is taking up the extra 3 quarts? Or was I low to begin with? Because of replacement pan issue (see notes below), I ended up leaving the pan off all night so maybe more came out because of that?
  2. I put in Mobil 1 5w-20 and not long after I threw a P0524 “Engine Oil Pressure Too Low”. From what I have read, other folks have hit this after moving to synthetic? From other threads, looks like there may be a TSB (18-003-08) that address’s? Do dealers charge to do this out of warranty? Assuming no way of doing myself?
Couple notes:
Dorman Transmission Pan (265-817) does not fit, holes line up but doesn’t go flush, about ¼ inch to go. I bought this as it was inexpensive and has a drain plug. If I pull the pan filter (not the screw on), it goes on fine so not sure what that is about. I put the stock pan back on. The site I ordered it from didn’t mention 4WD but Dormans site shows the pan fits 4WD (nothing about 2WD).

It is not good when bleeding the brakes that the Motive Power bleeder’s hose develops a crack under pressure and shoots across the garage. What usually takes me 15 minutes took an hour :(

I am loving this truck though, it replaced a 92 Chevrolet 1500 Cheyenne W/T with a V6. Only problem with this new one is it likes to drink the gas and the body is in great shape so I am being OCD and not letting it get dirty (that will change)...

Steve

Elfster55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same truck , was going to do the trans filter within the 2 weeks, did u find a replacement pan yet ?

OP
OP
S

SteveMat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't get a chance to look anymore to be honest as the truck was in pieces and now that I have changed the filters, will most likely suck some more out of the dipstick tube. In the next 30K (or what ever the interval is I'll look again

There were others out there but not too many in the lower price range...

OP
OP
S

SteveMat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took a second transmission bath (hopefully last in this truck)

OK, so thought I would share a couple of my learnings. I didn’t like the way the truck was shifting after doing the transmission fluid change, specifically after the truck sat for a couple hours (like in the morning before going to work), putting the truck into Drive (D) or Reverse (R) would take “a second” to engage. It didn’t feel quite right, I started looking around and it appears that the cheaper spin-on filters don’t have an anti-drain back valve on them so when the engine stops, all the fluid empties out of the lines back into the pan. So when you first start up, it takes “a second” to prime all the lines before things start working. Definitely not where I wanted to be so I decided to take another transmission bath and replace with a Mopar spin-on and sump transmissions filters. For reference, I originally bought two filters as they were at the local autopart store, I bought the Mopar ones off Amazon.

DW-FK331 (Spin on) Driveworks Automatic Transmission Filter
DW-FK330 (Sump) Driveworks Automatic Transmission Filter (I did re-use the rubber gasket from this kit, I suck at spreading RTV)

Mopar Sump Transmission Filter W0133-1913499-MPR
Amazon.com: Mopar AT Filter: Automotive

Mopar Spin On Transmission Filter - W0133-1878955-MPR
Amazon.com: Mopar AT Filter: Automotive

As mentioned, the “Dorman 265-817 Transmission Oil Pan with a drain plug“ does not fit the 2007 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7 2WD truck, supposed to fit the 4WD but I am not sure I believe that as it’s dimensions are very similar. Some places stated there is a different pan for the 2WD vs 4WD, some don’t. Not wanting to take future transmission fluid baths, I bought a “Dorman 65241 Transmission Drain Plug Kit”, which basically has you drill a ½ hole in the existing pan so I wouldn’t even mess with a whole pan (attached are pics of where I put it, for fitting, I used the magnet to hold the “inner” nut and test fit the pan to make sure I had clearance.

Two other notes:
I went with the Castrol ATF-4, guessing they make the stuff for Mopar anyway
Make sure you have seal puller for the sump filter, it is in their pretty good, I have a cheap one like this Seal Puller w/2 Tips, will be investing in a nicer one soon

Anyhow, I know other folks seems to be “happy” with the non-Mopar filters, maybe they have the anti-drainback valves that the DriveWorks doesn’t, or maybe a lot of transmission failures are due to folks putting the cheap filters in and now the transmission runs dry morning?

Attached pics showing drain plug placement

Steve

Attachments

• InsidePanShowingDrainPlugPlacement.jpg
    InsidePanShowingDrainPlugPlacement.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,176
  • OutsidePanShowingDrainPlugPlacement.jpg
    OutsidePanShowingDrainPlugPlacement.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 8,177

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You were probably not 3 quarts low, 7-8qts is about what they take for a full pan service.

Most aftermarket trans pans require the use of a 4wd style sump filter to clear the pan. I know my Mag-Hytec deep pan did, and that delayed the process a bit.

OP
OP
S

SteveMat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good point, I meant to stated that, normally all my old oil goes into a big 15 gallon jug, this time I when I drained I poured into some 1 gallon jugs. So dropping the pan and changing both filters, I had 8 quarts of oil when all was said in done. I have the 2007 RAM Truck 1500/2500/3500 Service Manual and it mentions no 8 quarts, it only has the below. Oh well, thankfully I only ran for a minute with 5.5 quarts

545RFE - Service Fill
4X2 - 5.5 Quarts​
4X4 -6.5 Quarts​

545RFE - Overhaul Fill (doesn't differentiate 4x2 or 4x4)
14.8–16.9 Quarts​