New to me Ram 2500, Things to consider?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattyhill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone. I just got an 04 2500 5.7, SLT 188k miles. Picked it up on a good deal, I think. It's my first dodge, and I love it. Previous owner said the u joints were replaced, with various other items. I'm just seeking advice on maybe what to be aware of with this mileage rig. I won't use it a ton, but will pull a 4k lb trailer several times a summer . It pulls decent so far for a 5.7 in my opinion. I've noticed a klunk in the front end over bumps, an engine tick ( seems ok ), and squeaky brakes. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Thanks, and I enjoy your forum.
BTW, I'm replacing an 06 f150 96 k miles.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the buy. I don't think you'll have any problem with a 4K trailer.

I'm new to the 2500 also - I'm very pleased with the strength of my truck.

I'm not new to the 5.7, have owned a total of 4 so far, 2 in Chargers, one in a Ram, and one in my Challenger. You shouldn't have any problem pulling anything with that engine. My understanding is the Hemi tick is pretty normal so no problems at all.

Enjoy your new ride! Got any pictures?

OP
OP
M

Mattyhill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No pics yet. It was pretty scratched up and a few dings, so I've done lots of detailing and such. It's still awesome though. I really liked the F150 until I drove this truck.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey, it's a work truck... don't sweat it... (that's what I keep telling myself when I look at the dent and light scratches on the side of my truck's bed - 796 miles)...

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome.

Clunk over bumps might be the shocks. I sprayed things down with silicone spray when I was getting front end noise. It helped to isolate what was making the noise.

youmadeyou

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I was also wondering the same things .. I just bought my first dodge as well . but mine is the 98 1500 is 188k miles on 5.9mag. so I was wondering if there should be anything to watch for or keep a eye on that might wear out soon or around that many miles.. I see the water pump is new. other then that I dont see or know of any other repairs that have been done..