New truck, new member..Some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VA_Rammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I just bought my first truck...she's a black 03 Hemi, 77k on the odometer. Got it from a dealership so I don't know a the majority of the maintenance history, so I assume nothing has been done when it was supposed to be. I'm going to be changing all fluids, air filter, and spark plugs over the next month or so. What else should I do preventative maintenance wise? Need to get all that out of the way so I can do some fun stuff!

Only pic I have right now is in the parking lot, but ya get the idea ;) I love everything about it except when I have to fill up ha!

ram1.jpg

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Welcome to the forum. I'm always happy to see a good looking 03 on the forum. I'm near Appomattox. Has the truck been modified at all? Exhaust, air filters are usually the first that gets changed.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:welcome:

You will most likely need to flush the cooling system and refill with new coolant, plus at the same time, I would replace the thermostat.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice looking truck! I am not sure on everything to change with it, everyone else will chime in on that though.

OP
OP
V

VA_Rammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Redtruck - I live in Forest but my family has a farm in Brookneal. It has an aftermarket air filter that needs to be replaced but other than that it is stock. I definitely want to put a new exhaust on it.

Harley Harrold - Thanks for the welcome! Coolant flush is definitely planned. My last 2 vehicles were German cars where the t-stat was a ***** to replace, I'm hoping it's much easier on the truck. Also - with the German cars when doing the tstat also was a good idea to do the water pump. Is that needed as well??

doge ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
funny you mention that your other cars were German. my last two cars were both BMW's. i traded my 328i in for a 04 1500. ive had some issues with it but after a month and about 700$ later, i feel like i own a brand new truck.

i'd go ahead and do a oil change and go full syn. and check brake pads, along with the other stuff you mention.

great looking truck. wish mine was the hemi motor

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
:welcome:

Take it too a mechanic that you TRUST. Have him go over it with a fine toothed comb and change all the related filters and fluids. See if you can get a carfax from a used car dealer that you know. The carfax is all telling sometimes.

OP
OP
V

VA_Rammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I have a mechanic to use....normally I wouldve done an inspection pre purchase but my parents are friends with the GM of the dealership and his wife so we trust him...but still needs to be done. I don;t want to pay someone else to do the fluids though its how I get to know my vehicles ;)

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My 07 just hit 60K today so I changed my oil & filter along with the PCV valve. I had to use a pair of channel locks to get the PCV valve out. The new one snapped in place with very little effort. I still have to replace my engine coolant and my spark plugs (16 ea.).

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Bonding time... You might look at the power steering pump hoses. The OEM clamps usually loosen up and you can simply put hose clamps on them without removing the hoses. There is a guy who has just taken a SuperChip off of his 03 that he traded in. You might make him an offer. SC3815 is all you need for the 03 and can usually be bought around $140 shipped. Check to see if the TMR mod has been done. 180 jet thermostat is a good replacement. I'm actually only a couple miles from Phoenix.

OP
OP
V

VA_Rammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks - thermostat looks easy enough to put it...Will do that with a radiator flush. I have been reading about the chips, they sound pretty cool. Do you happen to know what member was selling? I cant find a 3815 for under $350 online, that's ******** lol.

TMR mod sounds pretty cool - do you get a noticeable difference in shift speed?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Thanks - thermostat looks easy enough to put it...Will do that with a radiator flush. I have been reading about the chips, they sound pretty cool. Do you happen to know what member was selling? I cant find a 3815 for under $350 online, that's ******** lol.

TMR mod sounds pretty cool - do you get a noticeable difference in shift speed?

The thermostat is easy to install, just have the bleed hole in the up position and if it has a loose rivet (piddle valve) I recommend removing the rivet. As for a tuner I recommend the SC3815 and not pay more than $150 shipped.
Superchips 3815 Flashpaq | eBay

or a SC3865
Superchips Flashpaq 3865 | eBay

TMR mod IMO is a must have and improves drivability.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Welcome. I'm in Baltimore, I have a DRBIII if you ever need any computer work (and you happen to be in the neighborhood lol). Bring PATIENCE and your wallet when you go to do the plugs (all 16). After you do the TMR mod, try to avoid full throttle kickdowns without taking it out of OD first. You will avoid the dreaded P0733, P0734 codes for fried OD clutches. When you're really ready for the fun stuff, we can help you along in emptying your wallet.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
avoid full throttle kickdowns without taking it out of OD first. When you're really ready for the fun stuff, we can help you along in emptying your wallet.

IMO, this is essential to keeping the transmission healthy.. I absolutely 100% live by this rule! Along with a transmission Line Pressure booster. I also moved the O/D button to the buttons originally for the radio on the back of the steering wheel. This allows me to push either left or right side buttons and it turns on/off the O/D.