Nitrogen inflation??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so wat are the benefits of running nitrogen over regular compressed air in your tires?? And about how much does it usually cost?

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!!

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I paid $26 for all for down in GA on my old truck. It's good for warm climates.

OP
OP
swamp_life hemi 05

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok well that's not that bad, wat is switching to nitrogen suppose to do for your tires?

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
No that is not all.
The benefits are that the nitrogen particles are 4 times bigger than "air" so it is great with today's rims that tend to get bead leaks because they are alloy. It also has no moisture in it like air so it does not have issues with temp change up and down and does not gradually eat away slightly at your tires like air does. Nitrogen is a must have for anyone living in cold climates because it does not fluctuate like air and a must for hot climates because tires will run cooler. I always run nitrogen and have for years. The shop I go to only uses nitrogen to fill all the tires they sell. If you have TPMS it is a god send as well because it won't corrode the sensors and won't make you have to adjust your pressures all the damn time.

I love tires so I am glad you asked.

$miley

Stagman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing to keep in mind, since regular Air is 70% Nitrogen, If you add any reg air to tires filled with Nitrogen, you immediately lose ALL the benefits of Nitrogen. My Dad sold industrial gases and we used Nitrogen long before it was so popular. We kept a cylinder at home and used it like an air compressor for tools as well. Helped make the tools last longer due to no moisture.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
good info on this....my thought was that it gave a more consistent pressure

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
Huh! Pretty cool. I know our BMW'S have nitrogen in them. Looks like ill put some in the ram. Do you guys think it's possible to out it in my motorcycle tires too??

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Thats fine, I have an air compresser, I'll spend the 10min it takes to check and fill all 4 tires once a month or every oil change. Paying $26 for "air" for a daily driver is just stupid to me. Never have an issue in the summer, never have an issue in the winter.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I see the benefits of running it in your tires but for me, it seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth. If I have a tire than needs air now, I pull it up in the driveway and fill it up with the compressor and takes all of 5 minutes.
If I was running nitrogen, I'd have to drive across town and wait on someone else to add it to the tire and hope they do it how I want and actually do it right and not just throw air in it

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I had to remove the nitrogen and put air back in my old tires because the first day it hit below 0 3 of my four tires went flat. Sub Arctic temps are hard on all things though.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
When it turns real cold air normally goes down 10-12 lbs in the winter by December. With Nitrogen this does not happen. I paid $20 bucks + tax and that includes life of the Tire Top-ups whenever you like, I get them checked every couple months and they are always bang-on. IMO its worth it unless you have rims that inherently leak air then its a waste.

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
truckin151 said:
Thats fine, I have an air compresser, I'll spend the 10min it takes to check and fill all 4 tires once a month or every oil change. Paying $26 for "air" for a daily driver is just stupid to me. Never have an issue in the summer, never have an issue in the winter.

I don't think there is much of a difference of weather in AZ from summer-winter

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I don't think there is much of a difference of weather in AZ from summer-winter

110-120 In the summer, 50-75 in the winter for highs, lows in the winter can drop into the low 40s to low 30s. Id say that's a pretty good drop in temps.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

There are a lot of benefits this is one of those things like the 3000 mile oil/ traditional oil change. If you like to waste time, money, and in this case not want what is best for your vehicle by all means enjoy. I challenge you to get Nitrogen and then you will know why I am passionate about it. The biggest advancement in tires in many years. I will not own or run a vehicle of any kind with traditional air in them.

Moisture is what kills your rims and rots tires from inside out period.