OBD Reader info needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What might be a good OBD reader for less than $75.00 something that will work well on most cars especially Dodge Chrysler and Jeep.

My 2004 Dodge ram will do the key trick but my Dodge 2005 Durango and (2) 2005 Jeep Grand cherokee will not work with the key trick. Also wife has a Toyota Highlander.

One Jeep has a check engine OBD.

thanks

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Bluetooth readers are all over ebay. Connect to your phone and you can read and clear codes on any OBDII vehicle. They are cheap too, like $35. I have one and it works great.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
like xtremewlr said.
I picked up a bluetooth OBD reader from Amazon for $10 and downloaded the Torque app on my phone. You can monitor a lot of things with that app along with reading and clearing codes.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might look into UltraGauge, also. They have a wired version (which I've used), and a new wireless (bluetooth) version.

I have 2 of them that I used on our Land Rover Discovery's that my wife and I had previous to our current vehicles. Loved it for monitoring all sorts of stuff.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The really small models of Bluetooth OBD readers are flaky and sometimes don't offer a good reliable connection. I use one similar to this one I got on ebay for under 10$
uetooth-b-font-font-b-OBD2-b-font-font-b-Adapter-b.jpg

You can do a search for : "ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth" and you should find a multitude of them for cheap.

The smaller ones like the one below are the ones that can be flaky :
$(KGrHqF,!qUFB,Dn+!HMBQlHzjLt1g~~60_35.jpg

Since my adapter is always in the truck connected and it is a little long I use this extension cable to keep it tucked in under the dash. That way it doesn't show and is out of the way:
-for-OBD2-tracker-GPS306A-B-Rastreador-Perseguidor.jpg

You can find this cable by searching for : "obd2 extension cable right angle"

I also use the Android Torque Pro app and really like the capabilities the software provides. I made myself a little setup where I have a tablet permanently running the software in the truck:
picture.php

Have fun!

OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended up getting this Car Scanner Diagnostic Live Data Code Reader Check Engine EOBD OBD2 OBDII
paid $29.99 now its $32.99

Very well built and many features also can print out with included usb cable.

Comes with pc software 2 cables nice directions and a nice case to keep all together.

Should of bought one of these years ago and glad I finally got one, might not be one of the best but I'm satisfied. LCD display nice and big to read

hxxp://www.ebay.com/itm/161861309825?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

MaxiScan MS509 OBDII/EOBD Scanner
Harbor Freight sells the same one for $80.00

Prints data via your PC!

Reads live PCM datastream!

The MaxiScan MS509 OBDII/EOBD Scanner supports all nine OBDII test modes on all OBD2 compliant vehicles to enable technicians to accurately diagnose even the toughest problems. Sophisticated yet easy-to-use!

Features

Works on all 1996 & later OBD2 compliant US, European & Asian vehicles.

Easily determines the cause of the “Check Engine Light”.

Retrieves generic (P0, P2, P3, & U0) & manufacturer specific (P1, P3, and U1) codes.

Turns off Check Engine Light, clears codes & resets monitors.

Displays DTC definitions onscreen.

Views freeze frame data.

Displays monitor & I/M readiness status (emissions).

Identifies pending codes.

Reads live PCM datastream.

Displays live O2 sensor test data.

Graphs data – (1996 and newer).

Reads, stores & playbacks live sensor data.

Memory/battery backup for off-vehicle data review & analysis.

Bilingual interface & definitions—English/Spanish.

Performs modules present test.

Retrieves vehicle information (VIN, CID and CVN).

Supports CAN (Controller Area Network) & all other current OBD2 protocols.

Built-in OBD2 DTC lookup library.

Large easy-to-read backlit LCD screen.

thanks for all the replies

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's my UltraGuage setup. Just mounted it this evening. This is screen 1... it has another 7 screens available with up to 8 readings per screen. I only use the 6 readings on the first page, though. It gets to be too much to look at. uploadfromtaptalk1447216274477.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do any of the above read ABS or SIR codes/data?

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a bluetooth one off of Ebay and downloaded an app called Dash Command on my phone for a couple of bucks, works like a charm.