Official Safety Guy 2011 Baja Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
Just figured I would pot this so i can update it as the build goes along instead of flooding the thread. ill also use this to ask questions about this build so please check in regularly to help me out if you can.

I just got off the phone with Jared from Addictive Desert Designs (Formerly R&H Long Travel) He will be fabing up my front end for this truck. Bumper will be Chromoly with 3/16 skid plate up front and underneath. Lighting is going to be provided by Rigid Led mount bar in the bumper and 1 spot and 2 floods 9one on either side of the spot) giving me 170 degress of lighting.

Build on this system is 8 weeks out but he will be working on it soon enough.

so it has officially begun!!

Here is a picture of the lighting system its on a ford raptor.

main.php

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
pics of the truck as it sits now ?

OP
OP
S

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
pics of the truck as it sits now ?

It is getting backed in the building shop tonight!! and getting tore down all this week. so right now its outside my office since itll be one of if not the last time I drive it till pre running in june/july

wow this is awesome, i cant wait

Me either started ordering parts here and there still waiting on rule book before i go ordering all the big stuff.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Just show what I don't know... I thought Pre-runners were 2wd?

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
only thing with a build thread is we expect pics lots of pics

OP
OP
S

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
Ok so it has come down from the aboves that i am going to need to fabricate my own Body lift out of Steel or Aluminum.

So here is the deal doesn anyone know where I can find ALL the demensions of a 3" body lift peices? That or does someone have one lying around that I can borrow to measure and duplicate. I would pay you for it whatever the cost is of the kit plus $25 dollars. when I send it back you can refund me the cost of the kit and keep the $25 bucks for helping me out. I know thats a long shot but I think thats going to be the easiest way for me to do it is see it.

Or if someone has a better idea let me here it.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Rubberfrog has done allot of BL installs , I would shoot him a PM and see if he can get you the measurements . He is that good !

OP
OP
S

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
Pm sent to him hopefully he knows the answers to the questions i have. Thanks RH

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a reason you can't just use a production body lift? I don't see the point in reinventing the wheel....

If you still want to give it a go-

*The hardest part will be the steering shaft spacer. By the time you pay someone to machine one, you might as well have just bought the kit. I recommend you contact Zone and see if they will sell you one. They are the same for all 1500s.

*I suggest using actual lift spacers (vs some sort of steel/aluminum pipe/block) to eliminate vibration. You can get them in, 1", 2", 3", just about any length you want. The rest of the kit will be irrelevant to your particular build.

*You won't need the bumper brackets because you will be running custom bumpers. They can make the mounts work with whatever you have, but you will need the body lift on before they finish fabbing the bumper.

*The brake line manifold will need a spacer to keep the lines from stretching, but that is very easy to bend up. Just measure it as you go.

*You will probably have the hardest time relocating the spare tire winch. That's not really an issue since anything over 33" won't fit there anyway. So just ignore that part.

*The fan shroud is going to be a pain in the **** no matter what you do. Your best bet is to take this opportunity to go with an efan.

*You'll need crush blocks under the bed after you lift it. It's easy to make these out of rectangular stock. A couple of 3" long pieces of 2"x3" tube will work perfect.

OP
OP
S

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
Is there a reason you can't just use a production body lift? I don't see the point in reinventing the wheel....

If you still want to give it a go-

*The hardest part will be the steering shaft spacer. By the time you pay someone to machine one, you might as well have just bought the kit. I recommend you contact Zone and see if they will sell you one. They are the same for all 1500s.

*I suggest using actual lift spacers (vs some sort of steel/aluminum pipe/block) to eliminate vibration. You can get them in, 1", 2", 3", just about any length you want. The rest of the kit will be irrelevant to your particular build.

*You won't need the bumper brackets because you will be running custom bumpers. They can make the mounts work with whatever you have, but you will need the body lift on before they finish fabbing the bumper.

*The brake line manifold will need a spacer to keep the lines from stretching, but that is very easy to bend up. Just measure it as you go.

*You will probably have the hardest time relocating the spare tire winch. That's not really an issue since anything over 33" won't fit there anyway. So just ignore that part.

*The fan shroud is going to be a pain in the **** no matter what you do. Your best bet is to take this opportunity to go with an efan.

*You'll need crush blocks under the bed after you lift it. It's easy to make these out of rectangular stock. A couple of 3" long pieces of 2"x3" tube will work perfect.

This is some good information. Thank you, Yeah spare tire im not to worried about that as I will have to mounted in the bed. R&H Long Travel is Fabbing my bumper he already has a Jig for my truck with a 3 inch body lift so it seems most that is already taken care of.

I was thinking about the Efan I will have to check the rules for this class on that issue. i don't think it will be a problem.

All in all how many spacer will i need? I am going to contact zone about some parts as you suggested and wee what they tell me.

Thanks again

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A total of 12. 4 on each side of the cab, and 2 on each side of the bed.

Have you watched this video?

[yt]nHe0NxD545E[/yt]

OP
OP
S

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
^^ that I have not yet I shall now though. Thank You.

OP
OP
S

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
Man I have got to say this .... as a safety guy grinding without a face sheild what is wrong with you. lol

I couldn't watch the video or hear for that matter since my speakers are broke for some reason I will watch though.

matt99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with frog on all the points he made...I cant see why you cant use the blocks that come in the zone kit, they claim to be all kinda special and rated at 60k lbs...The steering extension is over $100 and I got the kit for $320 including shipping. The radiator, fuel and all the other hose extensions werent really needed in our case but might would be worth doing in a vehicle that will have so much body flex. I guess you could get better grade body bolts and solid aluminum 3in spacers cut if you are worried, just need a 1/2in hole in the middle of them

Im jealous as **** of you. This is awesome. How much is he charging you if you dont mind me asking? Or is it a roundabout until hes done deal

As a LED bar, the Rigid Industries LED bars look amazing. Kinda pricy but sounds like your deep into it wallet wise. If you could run a contained HID kit with the ballast IN the light fixture i would trust it a bit more

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye